Time capsule right for a college student?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook l Ipod nano 4gb l ipod classic 80 gb
I'm going to college this fall and is time capsule the right external hard drive? I just got a 500 gb one but my macbook won't recognize it and I'm concerned about the lack of wires. I want my external hard drive to be for my computer alone, and i dont want to have to worry about others using the internet to store/use it. Should i stick with time capsule and just yell at it until it works or get a different external hard drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
well if you are worried about others using it, you can always put a password on the network. As far as if its the right one for you, if you just want an external I think thats what you should get. Time Capsule is for using time machine over your airport network (plus its also a great router). Are you using tiger? Because that might explain why you cant recognize the Time Capsule...

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm using leopard, I'm on my family network but that shouldn't change anything. It(the time capsule)'s right next to my laptop.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right now the amber light is flashing on it, the entire network is fine, i can't find the time capsule using airport. I've tried unplugging it and replugging it in but that doesnt fix it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
So you're entire computer doesn't even recognize your time capsule?

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It can't find it. i tried getting resetting the time capsule, but the amber light won't stop flashing.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, i just got it to find it, now it's setting it up. hopefully this will work now. How would I set up a password? Will there be a prompt letting me block it from any computer but my own? And can I use it to store stuff besides what it's backing up with time machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
yeah. use WPA encryption. If it's possible, WPA2.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
okay it still couldn't identify after reboot... and is wpa encryption an option somewhere for the device? It's my first time setting something like this up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't have a Time Capsule, but I would most certainly research it for you to try and find you some answers.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Everything's updated, it will identify it once, maybe if I'm lucky. Then it goes to set it up, but when it tries to identify it after reboot there's nothing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm. Strange. Ill keep searching for ya ;)

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alright, thank you. I think i may try to just set it up as another network. Am I allowed to be connected to two networks at once? If so then couldn't I have one network for my backups and another for internet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To answer your new question: I dont think so. The only way i know of to have two networks is with two separate TCs.

and heres something I found about the flashing amber light. It's a C&P, but ill provide the link where I found it:

FIrst, unplug the time capsule.
Then hold in the reboot button with a pen (small thing on the back)
Keep holding it when you plug back in.
Then go to your computer-open airport setup assistant.
You should have a whole new setup profile--asking you to input new password, change security etc...
When you save changes, the Time Capsule should reboot itself and you're in business.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1443779&tstart=135

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I saw that and did exactly what it said but I still have the same problem that it's not found after it restarts. I just finished my 5th attempt that way and it's still not working.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
whew. this is a doozy. The more I search, the less related articles. You say you just got a 500GB model. If it's new, you could get it replaced if nothing is working at all.

Have you tried connecting the TC via ethernet?

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven't tried using ethernet no. My macbook is the only mac on our network, the rest are pc's. would that impact it at all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it shouldn't. but try connecting the TC via ethernet. If that fails, it's prolly time to replace it. But connecting it via ethernet is a for sure way to getting it recognized.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright, I'll try that. Thanks so much for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.