iTunes sharing. Windows and Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.16GHz 2Gb OS X 10.5, 16Gb iPhone 3G Black
Hi guys,

I had a quick search to make sure i wasnt posting a s
duplicate question that had already been asked, but i couldnt find anything on this...

I currently have a "media server" which runs Windows XP Pro and im wondering if anyone has a step by step idiot's guide to sharing my itunes music from this media server to my mac and 2 other windows laptops via the network? Also, is it possible to do the same thing with movies in iTunes?

Thanks in advance,

Luke

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
just go to preferences and check sharing for all the ones you want to share their music.

the computer will show up on the left side like a cd or anything else.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi guys,

I had a quick search to make sure i wasnt posting a s
duplicate question that had already been asked, but i couldnt find anything on this...

I currently have a "media server" which runs Windows XP Pro and im wondering if anyone has a step by step idiot's guide to sharing my itunes music from this media server to my mac and 2 other windows laptops via the network? Also, is it possible to do the same thing with movies in iTunes?

Thanks in advance,

Luke

Very simple. Open iTunes on the Media Server. Go into Edit => Preferences => Sharing tab. Click on "Share My Library on My Local Network". That's pretty much it, although if you're running any kind of special firewall software on your Windows box, it could be more complicated.

OP
lukenn77
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very simple. Open iTunes on the Media Server. Go into Edit => Preferences => Sharing tab. Click on "Share My Library on My Local Network". That's pretty much it, although if you're running any kind of special firewall software on your Windows box, it could be more complicated.

ohh, i didnt think of the firewall. i'd already done what you just said, but it wasnt coming up on my mac. i'll check out the firewall. thanks for the tip!!

OP
lukenn77
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

ok, i think the probem lies on my mac.

i've always had problem connecting to the pc on my mac running leopard. i never had these issues on tiger, but ever since i upgraded i've had problems. these being, finder only ever seems to display the server when it feels like it. meaning, even if the server is fully functioning and fully connected to the internet finder wont display it, and even when i go to Go>Connect to server it takes a few minutes and says it cant find it. however, every now and then it will find it, and every now and then finder will display it on the left of a finder window without me having to ask.
but, even if finder displays it all by itself i can be halfway through watching a movie streamed from the pc and it just randomly disconnects. infact, when i was transferring my music collection from my mac onto the pc via this connection it kept randomly disconnecting....then id go to Go>Connect to server, and it wouldnt be able to find it.
The problem cant be with the pc, because my sister can connect to the pc without any problem on her xp laptop and never gets disconnected.
Any ideas?
One final thing....i noticed on the pc the itunes music wasnt in the itunes music folder, so i moved it there....turned on sharing on the pc and my mac...the pc can see my macs folder but cant connect to it "The shared library is not responding" yet my mac still cannot see the pc library.
Just let me know if i should create a new thread for this or not, im not sure what the protocol is.
Thanks again!

Luke

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.