20" iMac or 15" MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to these boards so sorry if this topic has been discussed before. I'm a junior in college and interested in purchasing my first mac. Right now I'm using an HPDV2000 laptop which has been suiting me fine.

The reason I'm interested in switching over to Mac is because of the operating system, and the many 'media' features that aren't accessible to PC users. Right now I'm trying to decided between the higher end 20" IMAC and the lowest end 15" Macbook Pro. I'm really interested in photo editing and music, so I've decided to get a system that runs MAC OS.

I was first inclined to go with a 20" IMAC, just because I already own a PC laptop that I could use for portable use. Today I decided, however, that I wouldn't be entirely against replacing my laptop for a new Macbook pro. I know that this is a matter of opinion, and keeping in mind my needs, and my status (a laptop owner and college student) which of these do you suggest? An explanation with your suggestion would be beautiful - maybe one is the better value, the better stuff, etc.?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
For photo editing, you want (a) the largest screen possible and (b) the most powerful processor possible. Both requirements would point you to the iMac. That would be my recommendation.

Reaction score
I kind of lean towards the iMac too. You get more power for the price. And you do already have a laptop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.