• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

"Trendy?"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
Have Macs become more of a fashion item than a functional machine purchased for its superior technical abilities?

I've noticed lately that Apple products have become "fashionable", accompanying the Starbucks image. The iPhone itself seems a hot item just to have whether you desire its function or not. I am happy for Apple's success, but it seems Apple users are changing from passionate enthusiasts who appreciate the nuances of Mac to people who only seem to use them because there's a certain image that comes with owning a Mac (presumably people who want to look artsy, because there is a stereotype that art students use macs, and many do).

Okay, I may sound a little cynical, but it's getting to a point were it really annoys me. For example, my schools yearbook was titled the "miBook" (they wanted to call it an iBook, but thank god Apple already copyrighted that with the laptops), and featured a cover that was designed to look like an iPhone. Photos from different events were edited into multicolored icons, and the cover sported and wifi signal icon and everything.

Frankly, this offended me as a Mac user. I personally love my Mac for it's function, and I felt Mac users were all being grouped together as trendies by representing the iPhone is this way. It was almost as if the designers wanted to be hip with the popular item of the year, but frankly very few people liked the design.

I'm just glad I'm a junior and don't have to be stuck with such a bad yearbook on my senior year.

So how do you guys feel? Does it seem like Macs have started to be identified as the trendy item, and how do you feel about that, most of us being more advanced and experienced users?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Well, I like the Macs, and the reason I switched was because I wanted something more functional. I've used Windows since I was old enough to click on a mouse, and I have to say, out of personal experience, Windows didn't quite dish out the expectations to be reached with user-friendly environments and applications, besides business-oriented tools and apps, like Office or instant messaging.

I've felt like this for a while now. I hate how people get iPods, but know nothing about them; even not knowing the company that makes them. And some just get iPods to "fit in". Yeah, I'm sad to say that there is discrimination against other people just because they don't own an iPod. It's childish.

I find using a Mac much much easier and less fallible, but I didn't want one to be "part of the crowd".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I find that trying to be 'non-conformist' simply is another form of conformity.

Really, I just don't care what others think. Period :)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
why i got a mac

curious about os x: 40%
tired of windows: 60%
trendy: 0%

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Apple have always tried to target the think different, unorthodox, so called trendy segment.

That is their market strategy, from Jurassic Park to Independence day, their product placement had shown that the maverick uses an apple

and it has paid off in the long term. Microsoft may try to project a young cool image but they have failed recently

AS long as Apple can continue there recent cool image, then good, us uncool people can continue to love Apple safe in the knowledge that up and coming cool youngsters are moving to mac

Not that I am saying I am not cool, just that I am approaching 40, so cannot assume I am young and hip any more :)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
louishen - remember, most youngin's think they're being hip, when all they really are is trendy.

hip is a state of mind that can age like wine.

:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Hasn't Apple been targeting the "trendy, hip" types since the inception of the Macintosh in 1984?

Reaction score
Yes. Which leads me to believe mikepugs hasn't been a Mac User long, or he would not find himself becoming annoyed with the Cupertino marketing campaign created on day one.

OP
mikepugs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
It's not that they haven't marketed it as such before, it just seems that with the advent of iPods and iPhones people see those products and not the company behind them.

It's just a lot more apparent as more and more people get Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Reaction score
I find this funny because the main reason my girl is getting one is because "they are fast and look easy" but shes getting a black one over the white because they look "cute." and it "matches her iPod."

Apple has taste.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.