• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

BOO for Mac apologists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15"
I'm a fairly new user to OS X, after 20 years of being a Windows developer. So, as one might expect, I've had a lot of questions about macs and their workings, in the effort to gain the productivity back that I had grown used to in the Windows world.

Some of these issues are apples and oranges, like learning new keyboard shortcuts, some are pleasant surprises, where Mac does something elegant that Windows does clumsily. And some, the Mac does clumsily (or not at all) where Windows does it excellently.

But that's all to be expected. What I have found surprising (and highly frustrating), is the quality of community support for Macs.

No matter how obscure the problem on a PC, I can Google it and find multiple in-depth discussions on the matter. Some of the comments are bunk, and others are spot on. But I almost always get my answers.

With the mac, I have to revise my search a half-dozen times before finally finding one or two people who ask the exact question I have. Great! The problem is, 19 times out of 20, all of the responses are completely anaemic; mac-apologists going on and on about how the mac does it is really better, or why having a missing set of useful functionality is actually an improvement, or how they've never seen that problem on THEIR mac.

Hey mac-apologists!! WHO CARES?? None of your screeds answer the questions these poor people are asking! Why do you all repeatedly invent straw-man questions to answer for them, leaving them with precisely no useful information?

Please PLEASE, help make these community boards useful - If Mac can't do something someone is asking, just write the words "the Mac can't do that," no matter how painful. And refrain from telling them why you really like the way that it doesn't do it. You'll be doing the entire community a tremendous service.

-b

PS - please don't challenge me to list examples of things that the Mac doesn't do, or do as well as elsewhere, unless you are actually prepared to behave as I've outlined above. Otherwise, you'll just continue being part of the problem, and probably look foolish as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
That's why they are called "discussion forums," so people can discuss things. Frankly I like it just the way it is - an open discussion is much more interesting - and useful - that a single post saying "No, you can't."

And some of us find the term "Mac apologists" to be offensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
I think that we are headed in that direction. You are seeing more IT professionals and developers starting to switch to Macs for their needs, and as this specific community grows, you will see more technically inclined discussions taking place. Apple corporation needs to step up their efforts in this area, however.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
And this cry of frustration will get these "apologists" to stop?

PS - please don't challenge me to list examples of things that the Mac doesn't do, or do as well as elsewhere, unless you are actually prepared to behave as I've outlined above. Otherwise, you'll just continue being part of the problem, and probably look foolish as well.

This is an open forum. If these "apologists" feel the need to interject, they should be allowed. Mac-forums has plenty of rules to keep any discussion civil, please understand this. And feel free to openly discuss any issues you have with your Mac here. This is a very welcoming community.
IMO, a comment like that almost sounds like you're trying ensue an argument here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz Aluminium MacBook
I've not come across this kind of attitude yet. One thing that does annoy me a little is when someone posts a reply that is of no use or repeats a previous post. I think you get this on any forum I'd imagine though. Since we're here hating on "mac appologists" I'd like to throw one into the crowd and say:

Whats with "windows haters"? Eaqually as annoying as these so called appologists. Could they be one in the same?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
i know there are alot of people that can be considered "windows haters". around my office people consider me one. (i am the only one who uses mac osx) to be honest it is not that i hate windows but i do get very frustrated with it. i know part of the reason i get frustrated with it is i am the un-official i.t. guy for the office so when ever someone has a problem i have to stop what i am doing and go fix it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
i know there are alot of people that can be considered "windows haters". around my office people consider me one. (i am the only one who uses mac osx) to be honest it is not that i hate windows but i do get very frustrated with it. i know part of the reason i get frustrated with it is i am the un-official i.t. guy for the office so when ever someone has a problem i have to stop what i am doing and go fix it.

I could easily see why you'd "hate" windows according to your colleges. I dislike fixing Windows problems for other people. I gets me all riled up.

Reaction score
I can see where you're coming from, there are times when I ask a question I wouldn't mind getting a straight answer either. But like everyone has already said, these are discussion forums, where things are discussed. Sometimes this leads to an answer being found for the person who asked the question. The people who say "Well, the Mac is better because it doesn't do this, and here's why-" well, dealing with these people is part of the fun in discussing something. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well seeing as how this is your first post here, I don't really see how this problem applies to us ;)

I think I know what you mean though... but part of the problem is Window's users expecting things to work exactly the same as under Windows - which isn't necessarily OS X's intention or aim.

Anyway, I hope we can offer any actual questions you might have in a balanced manner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
If you need an answer to a question you can always try asking in the forum...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Oddly provocative OP, IMHO.

Personally, I find this forum extremely helpful. I suspect the reason you can find answers to Windows problems so easily is two-fold: First is there are simply far many more PCs out there than Macs. And secondly, Windows machines do have more problems than Macs so there are more people looking for and answering those problems.

Reaction score
I don't see how you can class this as being appropriate. If you had read the forum rules, it states quite clearly that this is a:

safe, comfortable atmosphere for members of any age, race, gender, religion, or sexual orientation. Do not engage in personal bickering or flaming; remember to treat all posters how you would want to be treated.

This is not just a place where people say how great their Mac is, because otherwise their would be no "Windows, Classic and Linux" subforum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
you'll just continue being part of the problem, and probably look foolish as well.

After a similar time as a Unix admin/developer this statement right here honestly makes me question the validity of the complaint. I can also say that I've had no issue finding answers using google. If you have a question, however, perhaps you should ask it. Someone will very likely know the answer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
You know... the whole reason I switched from Windows to Mac was because Windows had all those problems....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, High Res, 2GB Ram, 2.4Ghz processor Core 2 Duo
I'm a fairly new user to OS X, after 20 years of being a Windows developer. So, as one might expect, I've had a lot of questions about macs and their workings, in the effort to gain the productivity back that I had grown used to in the Windows world.

Some of these issues are apples and oranges, like learning new keyboard shortcuts, some are pleasant surprises, where Mac does something elegant that Windows does clumsily. And some, the Mac does clumsily (or not at all) where Windows does it excellently.

But that's all to be expected. What I have found surprising (and highly frustrating), is the quality of community support for Macs.

No matter how obscure the problem on a PC, I can Google it and find multiple in-depth discussions on the matter. Some of the comments are bunk, and others are spot on. But I almost always get my answers.

With the mac, I have to revise my search a half-dozen times before finally finding one or two people who ask the exact question I have. Great! The problem is, 19 times out of 20, all of the responses are completely anaemic; mac-apologists going on and on about how the mac does it is really better, or why having a missing set of useful functionality is actually an improvement, or how they've never seen that problem on THEIR mac.

Hey mac-apologists!! WHO CARES?? None of your screeds answer the questions these poor people are asking! Why do you all repeatedly invent straw-man questions to answer for them, leaving them with precisely no useful information?

Please PLEASE, help make these community boards useful - If Mac can't do something someone is asking, just write the words "the Mac can't do that," no matter how painful. And refrain from telling them why you really like the way that it doesn't do it. You'll be doing the entire community a tremendous service.

-b

Dude NO!. Just no.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I believe you that there is a list. What are they?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Treating this one as another case of "Don't feed the trolls".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
First post. Joins to rant and flame.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
You would think he lacks basic knowledge of ANY standard forum rule. Which, might be the case..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.