Any shortcut to shutdown the Mac?

S

Sadlander

Hello!
I used to have an iMac G3. To turn it on, I pressed on a button located on the keyboard and to turn it off, I pressed on that same button, then a window opened asking me to confirm and the computer would shut down. It was very fast, just 2 buttons to press: I pressed on the button (on the keyboard) and <ENTER> and that was it.

Now I have a new eMac. I am very happy with it. But to turn it off, as far as I know, you have to open the Apple menu and click on Shut Down. So here's my question: is there a shortcut or some way to turn off the computer without the mouse?

Thanks!

OP
S

Sadlander

Here's the answer!

I posted this question in an other forum and someone gave me the answer! To turn off your Mac without using your mouse, here's how:
<ctrl> + ? then <enter>

Press the Control key and the Eject key, then a window will open asking you if you want to Restart, Sleep, Cancel or Shut Down. As the Shut Down button is the default button, you just need to hit return et voilà!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Is there any particular reason you're shutting down instead of putting it to Sleep? Most of the time, under OS X, you don't need to shut down, unless you'll be unplugging it for some reason.

OP
S

Sadlander

technologist said:
Is there any particular reason you're shutting down instead of putting it to Sleep? Most of the time, under OS X, you don't need to shut down, unless you'll be unplugging it for some reason.

I think it has something to do with my education. My parents taught me to always turn off lights, TV, etc...when I'm not using it, to economise on electricity. I know that it doesn't use that much electricity when it's on sleep mode, but, as I said, it's a habbit.

OP
S

sivp

Same here.. lol

I would also recommend UPS for all mac users (not notebooks, they dont need this).
My cousin's emac was destroyed during a voltage spike, plus you get a chance to shut down your computer about 10-15 minutes after a power failure just in case your doing something important, or not.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
The shortcut command that you want, goes like this: ctrl, option key, apple key, and eject key. This key combination will shutdown your computer without any prompt.

I had to learn all the important shortcut commands in my Mac class, before I could take any commercial arts classes.

OP
C

Cloudane

Surely a surge protector would protect against that and be faaaaaar cheaper than a UPS :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.