Okay, I must be hugely ignorant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
Well, at least huge...I'm tall and overweight, so nyaa!

Anyway...I've had my MacBook for six months, and JUST NOW I accidentally figured out that option-click renames files. Geez...and I've been doing "Get Info" on the files to rename 'em!

Are many switchers as...well...ignorant as I am? :Blushing:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Hey, we all had to learn at one time. Glad you figured it out.

I usually highlight the filename and hit enter and it will allow you to rename also.

Reaction score
why is it hard to remane a file? on vista u just right click and rename or just click the file once and click again and you can rename it also
lol

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
why is it hard to remane a file? on vista u just right click and rename or just click the file once and click again and you can rename it also
lol

That 2nd method works in OSX also.

Do remember this for the future, as it will help you,

DO not expect OSX to work like Windows. Just a friendly warning. Those who do get very upset and confused. Realize OSX is a different OS and does some things in a different way. It will make learning so much easier.

OSX was dead easy for me to adapt to, but some of that was due to my usage of the older Mac OS versions along with Windows.

Reaction score
ive been with windows a long time lol
but i was thinking of just keeping my hp even when i get the mbp so i will learn on the osx but still have vista too.. when i become a master i will sell vista ^_^

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
an even easier way...just click the file or folder, then click again a second later on the title of the file and it will allow you to make the change. Extremely easy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Haha, I've been using macs for years and didn't know the option+click one, I hit the enter key!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
I'll usually try something in OSX first like I did in Windows. IE: Renaming a file, I would try right clicking first. If that doesn't work and I can't figure out the obvious way to do what I want to do in OSX I'll Google it. Usually that's all it takes to learn my way around on my Mac. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
lol

And when you do that, be careful not to change or remove the extension, and scroll down from the file you clicked down to the bottom of the menu for the rename option.

The habit is easy, but if you really think about the action, especially avoiding the extension rename (if you show extensions) it's not as intuitive as you might think.

Reaction score
an even easier way...just click the file or folder, then click again a second later on the title of the file and it will allow you to make the change. Extremely easy

thats exactly what i do

i used to do that on windows and i tried it on mac and it works too
so thats how i rename files...lol...very easy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.