PC to Mac switcher!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Finally, a computer that actually wants to work!!! I recently switched from Windows, and I'm glad. Windows created problems daily, and was too much of a pain to work with. The only things it really had on it that were decent enough to run without sucking up my memory were Office apps.

But since I bought my Mac at the Apple Store, everything was just like seeing "the light". It's so much easier to use, and I'm hoping I can get an external HDD so I can use Time Machine (which I would most likely use a lot). I also bought the wireless Mighty Mouse; far superior than a PC mouse.

I absolutely LOVE iLife, it really does have everything I need in it. Now all I need is Office for Mac '08 :)

The only thing I found disappointing is... nothing!!

The one thing that I really liked was how it took 5 minutes to set up my computer, and at that moment I could use it. Fast start-up time, and shutdown time. I basically use exposé like 1000 per day, better than clicking everywhere on Windows.

All I can say is Windows doesn't even deserve to bend down and kiss OS X Leopard's feet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
I completely agree with you. Mac OS is soooo much nicer. I finally made the switch after years of using windows (all my life) and it was the best decision ever. Everything works so smoothly, expose, dashboard, spaces, etc. all work pretty much flawlessly. I would def recommend Time Machine...I have it set up and it works beautifully. Just make sure your hard drive you buy is formatted to NFS+ Journaled (you buy any drive and just format it)...time machine won't work in another format. The cool thing is I have a large desktop HD that I use for time machine and then a smaller portable HD I use to store all my images, music, etc. and time machine will back up everything on my portable HD onto the larger one where my TM backups are kept. Very much worth doing and extremely easy to set up. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Reaction score
Expose/Spaces definitely my favourite since the switch last month.

Interested in getting the Mighty Mouse (the single button appearance still looks abit awkward) but my current Labmate mouse still works great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz Aluminium MacBook
I have to agree that since buying my MacBook last week I've nothing to complain about but i do have to say this:

Windows is NOT a bad operating system. There is a massive difference that people seem to overlook. Windows is designed for a massive range of hardware. This means that windows is supported on an almost infinite number of hardware configurations. OSX is designed for and tested on a very small range of hardware which means it can be far more fully tested. This means that of course there are going to be problems with windows but i can honestly say, the only problems i have experienced with Vista so far are caused by hardware failiures and nothing to do with Windows itself.

Mac is good but i cannot do everything i need to do in my day-to-day life at home and work without Windows. It is that simple. They are both good for their own reasons.

Reaction score
Windows is NOT a bad operating system. There is a massive difference that people seem to overlook. Windows is designed for a massive range of hardware. This means that windows is supported on an almost infinite number of hardware configurations. OSX is designed for and tested on a very small range of hardware which means it can be far more fully tested.
The irony here is that my generic Windows Vista laptop is having less overall "quirks" than my Macbook Pro with OS X. I *think* 10.5.3 helped a little, but there's still odd things I am not sure are real bugs or just the result of Apple trying too hard.

They each have their moments where I'm impressed, and then again sometimes they each leave me scratching my head in confusion. I don't give Apple as much slack though since they do control the software AND hardware so they have less excuses when things don't work perfectly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
To me, I don't cut Microsoft much slack. First, they employee many of the top engineers in the Tech business. Second, they have virtually endless resources at their disposal. When you try to emulate as they did with Vista, I don't cut them any slack.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz Aluminium MacBook
When you hold the market share in anything, no one will cut you much slack. I guess thats just the problem with being at the top.

I am just always wary of people who say exclusively, one OS is better than the rest. They each have their pro's and con's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I watched a review of sub £400 PC's on TV the other day.

Three were tested and timed from removing from the box to opening a webpage.

Two took between 30 and 45 minutes to even get into Windows because Vista isn't actually ready to go on most PCs, which I didn't realise.

The third did get into Windows fairly quickly because it was shop built and had been set up prior to delivery. This machine lost the test though because it couldn't connect to the wireless router - Windows just complained and refused to connect.

I am just always wary of people who say exclusively, one OS is better than the rest. They each have their pro's and con's

You're correct, but Windows really needs to take a big leap forward next time around. When you see what can be done with other OS's, the continuing evolution of Windows 95/98/XP isn't cutting it in this day and age.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.