internet sometimes fast sometimes slow

Reaction score
im new to mac. i just got my imac last sunday so i guess its been like a week now. anyways...after my mac has been on for a while my internet becomes really slow. it takes a longer for sites to load that it usually should. then when i restart my computer it goes back to the regular speed and its fast again.

also ichat keeps disconnecting but audium, skype, and yahoo dont. could this be an internet problem that anyone can help me with or is this a problem with my mac?

i keep thinking i might have a virus or something cuz this is what it was like before on my pc where the internet gets really slow.

i have cable internet and its connected directly to my mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Are you fully patched up to 10.5.3 via Software Update?

OP
M
Reaction score
no i havent downloaded it yet

does that update make that big of a difference for internet speed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Mitch,

Almost no chance for a virus on your Mac, so put your mind to ease there. Could also just be a slowdown by your provider. I have that problem with Verizon cable from time to time.

There are a lot of improvements with 10.5.3, so it could help.

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
no i havent downloaded it yet

does that update make that big of a difference for internet speed?

It's got a lot of tweaks and fixes in it. Definitely worth getting fully updated. Then try it again and post back with the results.

OP
M
Reaction score
k i got the update a few hours ago and have been testing it out and its made my mac a whole lot better internet-wise

the speed doesnt slow down anymore and my downloads are going a lot quicker

thanks for the help :)

Reaction score
I'm having a similar problem.

I have a mac G5 with OS 10.5.6 and it is crawling on the internet (wireless), but I also have a mac book pro with 10.4.11 and it crushes the internet. I did a speed test with almost embarrassing results. I'm using fire Fox on both.

Mac G5: 2X2.66 GHZ 5 GB 667 DDR2
Firefox version 3.0.7
Speed test results:
Download 3.18 Mb/s
Upload 1.04 Mb/s

Mac Book Pro 2.4 GHz Core Duo 4 GB 667 DDR2
Firefox 2.0.0.9
Speed test results
Download 12.07 Mb/s
Upload 2.12 Mb/s

I am completely stumped by this. I my only assumption at this point is that it has something to do with the OS. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Stephan

Reaction score
I thought I should add that this is only a problem wireless. I plugged my G5 into the modem and it flew (13.32 down and 2.35 up). Could it be a bad air card? How could I test this?

Stephan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 2.16ghz intel core duo , 30gb ipod, 16 gb 3g iphone,PowerBook G4 1.67ghz 1Gb ram
I dont have my speedtest results on hand.. But i just got a power boost through my ISP and my G4 laptop is slower then my imac.. It doesnt crawl but is no were near.. There both wireless, my G4 download speed was somewere around 12 and my imac reached 22.. So iam guessing its the card. I dont have enough knowledge to say the card is bad but maybe just slower.. Because 12mb/s is still pretty fast no?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.