• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Final Cut Pro World Tour 2008 Disappointing

Reaction score
Maybe I expected too much, but the New York stop of the FINAL CUT WORLD TOUR was a bit of a letdown.

The FC Caravan came to the Big Apple exactly one week to the day after Avid swung by to perform its “New Thinking” night club act. (FC added a second session to accommodate the huge response.) Avid indeed presented a night club act: manned work stations planted strategically around the theater district hotel ballroom, disco lighting, classy snacks, free drinks, useful souvenirs and a cadre of red-shirted acolytes available to answer questions.

Avid’s presentation to the stand-up crowd (there were only a few seats) was brief and to the point. Which was a good thing, because there wasn’t much to say. But the message was clear: They know they dropped the ball, and they’re trying to get it back.

The FC event, on the other hand, mixed a mini-trade fair (about ten third-party vendors showing their wares) with a slickly produced show-and-tell, extolling the wonders to be found in the new Server (one hour) and several apps in the Final Cut Studio 2 suite (two hours). And that’s all they wrote. No Q&A, no discussion. no interactivity. During the break, I tried to pose a question to one of the presenters and was waved off to the Apple Table outside the conference hall, which was deserted when I got there. Unlike any Apple store, where orange, blue and aquamarine shirted personnel are easy to spot, I had to ask several people if they worked for Apple. When I finally tried to pose my question to the Apple guy I found, he said, some other people were there “for a long time.” I asked if there was anybody else from Apple, and was told: “That guy over there in the striped shirt,” vaguely indicating a crowd of ten people. I never had my questioned answered.

I would have expected such customer relations ineptitude at the Avid presentation. But at a ballyhooed Apple event? Was the budget for this meet so tiny, that Apple couldn’t afford to conscript a couple of FC types from its five stores in New York?

I could easily overlook the absence of snacks, bar and souvenirs, but the exclusion of Q&A and the paucity of qualified Apple personnel at such an event is at best tacky. It lends credence to the on-line noise about Apple’s diminishing interest -- not only in its pro-apps but in the people who use them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.