• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Patent filed for 3g iPhone functionality

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS
Well I like many others have sought after some sort of tangible evidence of a new emerging iPhone other than speculation.
The massive 371-page document includes a number of product diagrams for features now well known in the iPhone, as well as many that have never been launched. The iPhone patent reveals features such as a GPS, video conferencing, video recording, and a "blog" and dictionary application that Apple has not included in the iPhone as of yet.
Patent link:
http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph...&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=google&OS=google&RS=google
Article link :
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/255464
Guess this is more proof than the average rumor.
Thoughts ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
Nice find, all of those features are what I've been waiting for,(and hoping for) I guess we'll find out in 8 days...

OP
ibookmobile007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks!Well I did not want to follow all the others that were selling their phones on ebay left and right because they were going on speculation. I for one was not going to follow suite and then there be a huge let down at WWDC. Like MacWorld when allot of people thought there was going to be something big for the iphone.Well now we have some concrete proof!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
ya, nice find.

looks like there is GPS capability, and something called an 'optical sensor' nestled between the speaker and proximity sensor. Could this be the video chat camera? The menus look pretty much the same as iPhone 1, so looks like GPS, Video conferencing and recording, as well as blogging?, and dictionary are new...

i have a question: why are patent images so crappy looking?

Anyways, can't wait!!!

OP
ibookmobile007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have no idea about the image itself.I surf all the time for something more tangible and came across that news feed.The optical sensor would have to be a camera.What the cool thing is that Apple filed for a chat application some time ago.
I actually took the time to read the patent filing and was a bit in awe. Roughly a week left to see what is within , if they do release it on June 9th.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found a drawing of the items:

And then I also found this article, now what is an optical sensor in this sense?? I know that in patents it is fairly vague, but I'm thinking that this is a camera??

View attachment iPhone .pdf

OP
ibookmobile007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Optical sensor would mean a camera.There is no other way to decipher "Optical Sensor". 6 days remaining to see and hear what we all have been awaiting on.Well not all but most.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Optical sensor would mean a camera.There is no other way to decipher "Optical Sensor". 6 days remaining to see and hear what we all have been awaiting on.Well not all but most.

Well I'm thinking that it is a camera too. But optical sensor can mean a lot of things. Like finger print scanners, and then there is always this Samsung that has a toggle switch, but it is an optical sensor.

I know that I can't wait, and this week is already going by REALLY slow..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Not to be the skeptical one... BUT

I read somewhere that this patent was filed with the original iPhone. Knowing that the original didn't have all this stuff, doesn't mean that the next one that is Supposedly coming out on June 9th will have all this stuff mentioned in the above patent either.

Yeah probably will have the GPS and 3G, but the Video Conferencing might not make the cut for this rev...

Anyways, we'll wait and see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not to be the skeptical one... BUT

I read somewhere that this patent was filed with the original iPhone. Knowing that the original didn't have all this stuff, doesn't mean that the next one that is Supposedly coming out on June 9th will have all this stuff mentioned in the above patent either.

Yeah probably will have the GPS and 3G, but the Video Conferencing might not make the cut for this rev...

Anyways, we'll wait and see.

No if you look at the patent, at the top it shows the date that was filed, I attached an image of the top of the patent, it is at the top right.

EDIT: Upon further reading of the patent it is the date accesed that is may 29, 2008. The date filed is SEPTEMBER 5 2007. But still that is after the First release.

Picture 2.png

OP
ibookmobile007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^^My point!This is a new patent as it shows the date on the right hand side as being filed on the 29th of May

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^^My point!This is a new patent as it shows the date on the right hand side as being filed on the 29th of May

No the filed date is September 5, 2007. Granted the date filed is AFTER the original iPhone, it is pretty out of date, but still is highly possible, and I still have my bet saying that this is going to pretty much be. If you go down you will see that, I think that that date we thought was the file date is the date that it was made public.

OP
ibookmobile007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But the original filing was made public eons ago.They have updated the patent filing with more information.Refer to the pictures that are added , which are not of the current functions of the iPhone.Meaning that the layout looks the same , except for the inserts of many new hardware components that are not in the current model.Well who knows?!Except for Apple.We will have to wait and see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.5Ghz Penryn Processor, 4GB of RAM, 200 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, High Res LED 17" Screen
I almost waited for the new iPhone, but decided to get mine instead back in December. I am glad I didn't wait. While the new features sound exciting, I worry about size and battery life. I am more curious to see what they do to the iPhone next year.

OP
ibookmobile007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I almost waited for the new iPhone, but decided to get mine instead back in December. I am glad I didn't wait. While the new features sound exciting, I worry about size and battery life. I am more curious to see what they do to the iPhone next year.

I purchased My previous one in September after my birthday.It was recently replaced with a brand new one.I thought about selling it,but overlooked the option.As I am very curious to what the new one holds.Allot of speculation about what it will have and will not have,so that being said "only 14 hours will tell!"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I really hope there is more then what is listed I so want theathering

I wouldn't count of that ever being an official feature. 3G and tethering would cannibalize AT&T's data package sales. Why would someone pay for separate voice and data when they could get the iPhone plan and essentially have both?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.