Unable to delete folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8ghz iMac 24" 4gbRAM 750gbHD + 650gbExternalHD + 22" LCD
I have a photoshop CS2 for PC folder on my mac which I cant delete because of this folder being locked, however when i try to unlock it it won't let me.
How can I delete this folder?
picture1fx3.png

Reaction score
Hold down the Option (Alt) key whilst you empty the trash.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, that doesn't work.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also does not work.

Reaction score
Try this:

Log into an administrative account, go to Applications - Utilities - Terminal. Enter the command sudo chflags -R nouchg , making sure you include the space. Then drag the files to the terminal window, so it says chflags -R nouchg /Users/UserName/Folder. Press enter and enter your password (by the way your password won't show up as you type it). You should be able to delete it then.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, also won't work.
Another weird problem is I can't move the folder out of the trash either, it only copies it to wherever I move it.

Reaction score
It won't let you move it out of the trash because it is locked.

Try it with chflags -R nouchg /Users/Username/.Trash/ (replace Username with your home folder name). This will unlock your trash. You will then be able to delete it.

And schfle - good link. That is where I found the info when I had the problem.

Normally the command I mentioned works well.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am attempting a secure empty trash.

Will tell you how it goes.

Thanks

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did not work. I am repairing permissions via disk utility.

Reaction score
Secure empty trash will not work because you do not have permission to delete the file, or move it.

Try my above post, which has worked for me in the past, as well as other users when I have posted it before. Either drag the folder into the terminal, making sure you leave a space before you drag it (after the command) or type /Users/homefolder/.Trash and unlock your entire trash directory.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've noticed, the files only appear in my trash when I plug in my external Hard drive, and the trash empties when i eject it. I should also note, the locked files were deleted from the external drive.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And I appreciate your help, but the terminal technique just isn't working.

Reaction score
..even curiouser

I have the same issue. All the problem files are ex windows files that I put onto my ipod for transfer to mac, particularly "my pictures" and "my music". So this all relates to folders on the ipod itself.

I can delete sub folders in my pictures, but cannot delete the file. I tried all the suggestions above but no result. After using the terminal option and trying to transfer my pictures to trash, I get the message "my pictures is locked. do you want to tranfsfer anyway?". Select yes, get the sound of the file moving but nothing happens. The file has not moved.

Even stranger, the trash is empty when the ipod is not plugged in, but once it is mounted several files that I did manage to send to the trash appear in the trash again and cannot be emptied. Once the ipod is ejected, the files dissappear from trash only to reappear when the ipod is next connected.

This is very annoying as prior to this, the only two things I regretted about switching were (1) not doing it sooner, and (2) getting the base model MBP instead of spending money on a larger hard drive.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Exactly my issue ^

Reaction score
The final suggestion I can make is typing sudo chflags -R nouchg (you must have the space) before dragging the files. The sudo part means you can run the command as an administrator (it sounds like that is the reason it is not working). Sorry if that caused a problem because it was in the first part of my initial post but not the rest.

Good luck

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately that also does not work.

Sent through PM:
"What format is the External drive? NTFS by chance?

In your first picture it shows a small lock on the very bottom right of the screen for that file. Have you tried clicking on that lock and putting in the admin password? Just throwing things out in case since it was not suggested."

My external drive where the files were deleted from is FAT32 formatted. I have tried upchecking the tick, it won't let me uncheck it. It is very strange that when I unplug my external drive, the files vanish from the trash. But as soon as I plug it back in, they return.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
What happens when you try to unlock it? Are you prompted for permission, or do you get an error?

It is very strange that when I unplug my external drive, the files vanish from the trash. But as soon as I plug it back in, they return.

Not really: Under OS X each volume stores its own trash folder locally. So if you trash a file on your USB thumb drive, it'll be stored in the trash folder on that drive. This is done, simply because otherwise you would need to copy the file to your internal harddrive's trash, which is not only potentially time consuming, but might also not be possible due to a lack of space.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What happens when you try to unlock it? Are you prompted for permission, or do you get an error?

Not really: Under OS X each volume stores its own trash folder locally. So if you trash a file on your USB thumb drive, it'll be stored in the trash folder on that drive. This is done, simply because otherwise you would need to copy the file to your internal harddrive's trash, which is not only potentially time consuming, but might also not be possible due to a lack of space.

Fair enough.

When I attempt to uncheck, it simply does nothing, it flickers slightly and remains checked.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.