• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

DUSTTTT! Oh yeah, hey everyone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Heyyy,

So, I don't know about the rest of the collation forces in Iraq, buy my biggest enemy here is definitely dust. I'm sure that I've complained about it before, but it's unreal! My optical drive is next to useless. Sometimes those drive cleaning kits help, but more often than not I'm stuck with no disk reading :( This isn't an isolated event unfortunately, optical drives all over the place fail here. Maybe that's why Iraqis are always trying to sell cheap portable DVD players :p My fan has just about had it too. When I get home in two months, I'll definitely have some component replacement to do.

On to better things though: How's everyone doing back at home in the states (and the UK, ect)? I've been in Fallujah for a few days and subsequently have had the internet every day on my own computer! These people here really have it great, it pays to live on a large base. I've been combing the MacForums enjoying everyone's writings, it's a nice taste of home (albeit slow and packet lossy).

I'm about to undergo a great adventure come June 30: DISTANCE LEARNING IN IRAQ (dun dun dunnnn). I'm trying my luck at 6 credits from my university during one of their summer sessions (to make up for the now 36~ credits that I've missed due to this deployment). My internet access is unpredictable, but it's worth the gamble; the Marine Corps seems to have quite a bit of funding for education while one is on active duty. Too hard to pass up, that's for sure. Now I will simply be living in the good graces of some understanding professors as they bear with Iraq's less than perfect internet infrastructure.

Whoah, I just wanted to say hey but it looks like I wrote quite a bit. Sorry to anyone that actually read it all, nothing really mac related after the first paragraph :) Take care girls and boys.

James

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
hey man whats going on. hope all is well in dustland and everyone is treating you good. stop in a little bit in the future and tell us whats going on over there (top secret stuff) to be exact. just kidding keep safe and thanks for your service.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Good to hear from you. Sucks that your machine is being affected by the environment there, but I guess that's part of life sometimes. Nice that you have free, even if it is slow, access for a bit, it's a nice way to catch up with the rest of the world.

Stay safe and bring that Mac back safely!

And by the way, thanks for what you are doing!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Thanks for your service. It's good to hear from someone over there.

Reaction score
Nice to year from you! Hope you return well.
I wonder how your laptop would be holding up if it WASN'T a Mac...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I wonder how your laptop would be holding up if it WASN'T a Mac...

If it was a Panasonic Toughbook or a General Dynamics Itronix, it'd probably be doing pretty well. (And if it wasn't, you could always hose it off....)

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it was a Panasonic Toughbook or a General Dynamics Itronix, it'd probably be doing pretty well. (And if it wasn't, you could always hose it off....)

True story regarding the toughbook. We have some of those floating around. My macbook never promised me that it would survive a tour in Iraq, but at least it's still firing on all cylinders and letting me watch episodes of the office from itunes (I've probably watched seasons 1-3 about 10 times now).

TOP SECRETS? I can't think of too many things that are secret about the Iraq War anymore to he honest :p I think that gatorade and rip it energy drinks secretly have a government mandated monopoly over here though. Theorists beware!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Good luck walmartconnect and keep safe

I think dust has always been a huge obstacle to any Army in the middle East, I bet the Army's mechanics are busy people. Are you told to check your boots in the morning for scorpions and spiders (that was the advice British veterans gave to UK troops during the first Gulf war)

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I definitely check my boots, lots of crawly things around here looking for shade. I've only seen two or three scorpions, none in my shoe. One was chilling on my leg one time while I was sitting down in the middle of nowhere :eek:

I wouldn't know about Army mechanics though, but the Marines aren't that great with computers either...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive
Be safe and if you happen to return to the states while i'm travelling inside the States, and if we happen to run into each other at the airport and if you had to go somewhere real urgent but dont have space in the plane, I will give up my seat. I have done this once in the Atlanta aiport last year and I will do it again anytime. Dont watch too much of Micheal, Dwight, Jim and Pam. Are you happy Toby is gone? Do u want a scoop of the next season?

You are the techie guarding the national secrets on the laptops there?

//too many if's huh

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm dying for some of The Office! Don't tell me anything though. It seems like one of the economic bases of Iraq is bootleg DVDs, so I'll probably end up seeing season 4 before I leave the country.

My job actually has nothing to do with computers unfortunately (even if it's what I do at home). I do a whole lot of walking/driving around and patrolling though!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" | 2.4GHz | 2GB | 256MB VRAM | 200GB HD
Hi walmart connect, its great to hear from someone over there. Believe it or not, some of us do remember there is a war happening! ;-)

Glad to know you'll be home soon. Take care of yourself over there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
Marines are the most tough part of the service.
My Dad was in Marines for 18 Years and my Brother gets sent to basic in June
Glad to hear that you are doing well. God Bless and SEMPER FI

Reaction score
I definitely check my boots, lots of crawly things around here looking for shade. I've only seen two or three scorpions, none in my shoe. One was chilling on my leg one time while I was sitting down in the middle of nowhere :eek:

AHHH!
EEEEK!
OHHHHHH!
BLEEEEEHHHHHHH!
YUUUUUCCCCKKKK!
AHHHHHKHHFLDSJDSKFJDJADLFKJAL;FJDLFJL;DSFJ;DKSFJADS;LFJLDJS;!
SICK!
I HATE CREEPY CRAWLY THINGS!!!!!!!!!!
How do you put up with it?!
You sir, are a real trooper.
Thanks.

It's people like you that make this country safer for wimps like me. :p

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nathan1981, I just read your signature. Congratulations on the Mac! When I get home I'm planning on a mini with a few externals to serve me up some files. Can't ever get enough of Apple...

Mjc, I don't want to rustle any feathers, so I'll just say that everyone has their part :)

The creepy crawly things are probably more numerous in America. I think that the ones encountered over here are just a lot scarier to look at since they've adapted to live in such a harsh environment.

jah

Reaction score
remove the dust from the portable:
see if you can get access to some compressed air, set the regulator so you dont use full pressure, use a paper clip(s) to prevent the fan(s) form turning.

be safe.

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks jah (my initials btw). I've actually disassembled the thing twice since I've been here and cleaned it all out (a secondary mission, primary has been reconnecting a loose blue tooth antenna). The amount of crap that I've cleaned out is frustrating. This place is MADE of moon dust.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.