CD and DVD reading problems

Reaction score
I bought a brand new iMac. The first time a placed a DVD into it, it ejected it after a failure in reading the disc. No messages were displayed, it just came out after about 20 sec. And then, after I put it in after a few times, it read it normally. It happened a few times again.

Did it ever happen to you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
iPetar,

Welcome to the forum, nice to have you here!

Sounds like your CD/DVD may have a slightly mis-aligned laser causing it to be intermittent. It could also be new hardware break-in problem, but that shouldn't have passed Apple QA... If it keeps it up, or gives you what you consider an unacceptable problem, I'd take it to an Apple store or where you bought it, have it changed.

Good luck, Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
I agree with Noels. I had cd drive issues with my MBP and I took it in to an apple store. They fixed it right away (they told me 2-3 days but had it finished that same day) and with no questions asked. The genius bar can be helpful that way. ;)

OP
I
Reaction score
iPetar,

Welcome to the forum, nice to have you here!

Sounds like your CD/DVD may have a slightly mis-aligned laser causing it to be intermittent. It could also be new hardware break-in problem, but that shouldn't have passed Apple QA... If it keeps it up, or gives you what you consider an unacceptable problem, I'd take it to an Apple store or where you bought it, have it changed.

Good luck, Noel

Thank you for your quick reply.

So you think I have the right to ask for a replacement? I mean, the computer is brand-new, and since the first day I encountered the problem, so I guess the customer is right in this case. Right? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for your quick reply.

So you think I have the right to ask for a replacement? I mean, the computer is brand-new, and since the first day I encountered the problem, so I guess the customer is right in this case. Right? :)

Absolutely! That's what's the warranties are all about. Apple QA wants 100% (or very close to it) on their QA pass rate. If there's anything wrong, they want to know about it and fix it for you and others down the line. That's your right, to get it fixed and back to the 100% level.

Noel

OP
I
Reaction score
Absolutely! That's what's the warranties are all about. Apple QA wants 100% (or very close to it) on their QA pass rate. If there's anything wrong, they want to know about it and fix it for you and others down the line. That's your right, to get it fixed and back to the 100% level.

Noel

Ok, I'll have that in mind. It's just that -- it's so frustrating to have a brand new iMac (for which I waited and waited), that now, I have to replace, you know... But, if you say that's their duty, then I guess it's a fair policy. Thank you again and I hope my next iMac will be a pure 100% ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Yep, I agree it's frustrating. But from a manufacturers perspective there is a certain percentage of parts that will be new-defective. It's an unfortunate aspect of the industry, and really while lots is done to reduce the percentages it simply can not be eliminated. The plus side is that they should be able to replace the drive at the store I'd think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac
I'm also having the same problem with my 7month old Macbook Pro.
Some disks ait will read, others it will read after several attempts etc.

Also when trying to burn disks it will then it won't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm also having the same problem with my 7month old Macbook Pro.
Some disks ait will read, others it will read after several attempts etc.

Also when trying to burn disks it will then it won't.

Mike,

I'd do the same thing with your Macbook Pro - take it back to an Apple store. They may be able to replace the drive on the spot. If you don't have Apple Care you only have a few months left to get warranty support, so I wouldn't wait...

Seems laptop CD/DVD drives are quite sensitive.

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac
Thanks Noels,

Don't have an Apple store within easy reach of me.

I took the Apple Care out so i'm not too pushed for time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mike, Smart move! Noel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.