Looking into buying a MBP, help me out

Reaction score
im gonna be a freshman next year in college and i am going to be a music major. with that being said, i want to be sure that a MBP is the right thing for me. im gonna be getting the basic model and i wanted to know whether or not i should get logic too. also, of logic or finale notepad, which of the two would be better? thanks for your help :D

Reaction score
The MBP is a great computer, but they aren't cheap. If money isn't that big of a deal then get the MBP, but the Macbook is also a good laptop. The MBP's big feature is a dedicated video card, and a bit faster processor. I can't really say much about the software, but finding musicians that use Macs is like finding musicians that are unemployed.

Reaction score
being a music major does not entail buying a Mac, perhaps if you posted some details of what your major requires regarding to courses?

T

totalpardo

sounds to me like a simple MB would work fine for your needs. can you handle the smaller screen though?

OP
08kecarv
Reaction score
well im gonna use it for making/editing music and i know hands down i want a mac. im looking at a MBP because i like the features and performance plus i want that video card for gaming. hope those are good enough answers : )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.5GHz, 2Gb RAM, 250Gb HDD, 512Mb VRAM
I bought my MBP, fully intending to do music programming on it down the line. Frankly, the screen size was the deal breaker for me, as a multi-track music program definitely benefits from a bigger screen size. That being said, if you're happy to use an external monitor when doing music stuff, then you'd probably be fine with the MB. The only other thing I'd add is that if you're using a lot of samples or loops on-board, then a fast hard drive might be worth the extra just in terms of convenience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
Screen size is only an issue if you work on the go at random places. Otherwise you can find a relatively cheap nice sized monitor to plug into your MB for more screen estate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR2 SDRAM, 250 GB HDD, Mac OS X 10.5.3 Leopard
I personally suggest you just go a regular MB, but I would upgrade to a 7200 RPM HDD for what you want. That's the only thing I regret not upgrading on my BlackBook. Then just get a nice LCD that fits you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.