Can't Send Emails

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm hoping this is a simple thing. All of a sudden, as of about 10 minutes ago, I can't send emails. I can't reply or send new messages. I checked the connector doctor and connections are good. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Do you get any error messages? Hard to PD without real info.

OP
J
Reaction score
Do you get any error messages? Hard to PD without real info.

No error messages; just the drop down indicating that my email can't be sent at this time, using the server. Server is Mac! I'm wondering if it isn't my ISP provider.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
It isn't your ISP. The Mac IMAP mail server may have been having trouble at that time. Every now and then MAC mail servers both incoming and outgoing seem to go down for a short time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Due to scheduled maintenance from 10:00 pm PT to 11:30 pm PT on 5/29/2008, 1% of .Mac members might be unable to access .Mac Mail. We apologize for any inconvenience.

There was also a system outage of mail yesterday, these events are posted on the .mac welcome page

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
Often I cant send mail through the mail app, but if I go to mac.com I can send mail just fine. This has always really baffled me. I hoped this issue would be fixed in 10.5.3 because it seemed like it was an issue with the mail app and not the mail server (since the mail server works fine from the website) hopefully a mail update will come soon (or maybe the rumored .mac update will resolve this issue...)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
I just spoke to apple and they fixed the problem for me. Here is what they told me to do, it might help you too.

1) Go to mail->preferences->accounts
2) in the Account information you will see Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)
3) There is a drop down box on smtp.mac.com, select edit server list
4) click on Advanced
5) You will see the port, change it to 587
6) Close out of Mail completely
7) Open Mail back up again
8) Send yourself a test email.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like your ISP is blocking port 22 :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like your ISP is blocking port 22 :)

but thats the weird thing, it wasn't constantly not working, it was sporadic. Anyway, its fixed now so I'm happy :D

Reaction score
I was having some .mac mail problems today, and I've been using the service for over a year. It might have be related.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.