External HD iTunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(White) 2.4GHz/4GB RAM
I just got my macbook in today and i got a 160gb external hard drive. I dont want to store any music on my comps hd so is there a way that i can get the default itunes to search directly in my external hard drive for the itunes library? I dont want to run itunes off of the hard drive i just want to store the music itself and have the app running on my comp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Hold "option" while launching iTunes. You'll have an option to choose the library you want to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The easiest way to do what you want is to move your music to the new drive. Open I tunes, select all the tracks and hit delete. When the library is empty Add the songs back to iTunes from the external drive.

Make sure you turn off the option to copy the music to the iTunes folder on your boot drive first though.

Soulwar said:
Hold "option" while launching iTunes. You'll have an option to choose the library you want to use.

Actually, it will prompt him to select or create a Library. Since he only has one right now, it makes no sense to do this.

Reaction score
Can't you specify the location where itunes gets your music from in preferences?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.