Cisco Packet Tracer 4.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have recently begun a cisco ccna course. After being busted on the first day for having a mac and told that the materials are mac compadible by the professor I got home to find that the photo zooms are created in flash and packaged in a windows executable. Also we are going to be using a program called cisco packet tracer v4.1 that based on my searching does not have a version for OS X. Anyone have any ideas for alternatives (preferably free) that I could use for the course. I really dont feel like setting up bootcamp again. Thanks for your help

-matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Shucks Matt, I was motivated with a decent answer right up until your second to last sentence. I'd say set up a virtual drive with Parallels, but that sounds like just as much effort as what you are trying to avoid.

I wish that I could give you an actual answer :(

OP
F
Reaction score
If I make a VM in paralells can I keep it stored on a USB external HD? I would be fine with doing that since i can imagine spending more then an hour at a time working with the software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
If I understand what you're asking, yes, whatever virtual image/machine that you create can be stored on whatever kind of removable media that you want.

Reaction score
try VMware Fusion its 70 bucks but it works like a charm and u can run it in unity mode and have packet tracer running on your dekstop

Reaction score
Altermative for Packet tracer

Matt,
tryout GNS3 ( Download | GNS3 )
there is a mac version..
I havent tried yet.

It will work as an IOS emulation.
In windows version they have a but that raises up the CPU utilization too much (in the 4th router the CPU crashes..)
but they have fixed it with a tool (comes with the GNS3) that is just an automatic calculation of a number that brings down the CPU usage (don't ask me how it works! It just works!)

I will try the MAC version later.. try out some forums about it!

Another solution would be the bootcamp to install windows on your MAC... It also works but you will have to work with dual boot!

regards,
Rony

Reaction score
http://www.kju-app.org/

try Q as an iso emulator and run ubuntu virtually 100% free you can get the linux version of pt from Cisco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.