Setting up dual monitors G4 (Gigabit Ethernet)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4, Dual 500Mhz.
I have been searching all morning trying to find an answer to my question, so I figured that I would start a new thread.

I have acquired a new CRT (VGA) monitor from work and I was wondering what I need to set my Computer up to use dual monitors.

I have a PowerPC G4 (Gigabit Ethernet) with the Rage 128 pro (Stock Card) and it has Both VGA And DVI outputs on the back of it. Is it possible to run two monitors at once off the card, or do I need more hardware (Upgrade video card)?

IF I can't run a dual monitor setup I can still use the VGA monitor (larger screen) as my main display right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Davis,

I would get my hands on a DVI to VGA adapter (an inexpensive item but the last place that I actually saw one sold without a video card was Radio Shack). You should be able to run two displays off of that card, I don't see it being a problem.

If your mac acts like any other kind of computer with one video card and two video outputs, then the os should recognize the second monitor fairly easily as soon as you plug it in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Yes keep any dual monitor set-up on one card, but that 16mb card will struggle with 2 monitors

Dont use a second PCI video card, you will loose quartz extreme video acceleration and accually slow the machine down.

do an ebay search for NVIDIA AGP cards macs and find something with at least 64 meg of v-ram and hopefully a DVI and VGA port

Reaction score
you can pick up a DVI to VGA adapter in any mac store and its not too expensive, i saw one the other day in fact =]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And do as louishen suggests and look for a flashed nVidia GeForce 6200 with 256MB RAM which comes with DVI and VGA fittings, or an ATI Radeon 9000 MAC PRO with 128MB RAM and comes with ADC (Apple Direct Connect) which the CRT probably is, and DVI.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.