Question about Spaces

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 1GB ram, 120HD Leopard // Ipod Touch 2nd gen 8Gb
Hey I just bought a macbook off ebay (woop)

But anyway

It should come tomorrow but in the mean time im getting ready and doing a bit of research.

It has tiger, so does it have spaces, or something simular to spaces so that i can switch programs quickly?

Thanks in advance.

Hannah.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Tiger has Expose which helps with app switching but Spaces was a new feature in Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
I got leopard at my school for $69 it goes for $99 ($89 if you really look) on ebay. if you really wanted it and know someone in college(or you are), thats really not that much money.

the ebay price is even pretty good :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
Hold command(apple key) and press tab

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
For Tiger, you can use YouControl Desktops which is a fabulous equivalent to Spaces, perhaps even better. It features all sorts of desktop switching transition effects, such as the ever popular spinning cube effect. I used YouControl Desktops for the full two years that I ran Tiger. I would not be without it.

I honestly consider every now and then whether I should replace Spaces with YouControl Desktops. I do miss the spinning cube effect, as well as the Menu Bar desktop switcher, which Spaces does not provide (you pretty much have to use the keyboard to get a quick move from one desktop to another).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Out of curiosity, why is it coming with Tiger?

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 1GB ram, 120HD Leopard // Ipod Touch 2nd gen 8Gb
Out of curiosity, why is it coming with Tiger?

because its not one the of the new ones.

But i got it for cheap and im going to upgrade it eventually anyway..

Thanks guys for all your help..

Been up since 7 waiting for it...and im going to france in an hour :S

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Oooo... I hope it comes in time!

Our postie brings the big or heavy things in the van in the afternoons, rather than with the letters in the morning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP macOS Big Sur....iPad Air 2 64gB....iPhone 8+
What is Spaces? I have heard how great it is but I don't know what it really does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
What is Spaces? I have heard how great it is but I don't know what it really does.

watch the apple video on leopard (off their website) they go over it pretty well.

its pretty much virtual "screens" or work-areas setup on your computer. you can switch from desktop area to desktop area.

its pretty handy. :D

best explanation i could conjure up, sorry if its not so good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP macOS Big Sur....iPad Air 2 64gB....iPhone 8+
Thanks, I'll check it out when I get home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
For Tiger, you can use YouControl Desktops which is a fabulous equivalent to Spaces, perhaps even better. It features all sorts of desktop switching transition effects, such as the ever popular spinning cube effect. I used YouControl Desktops for the full two years that I ran Tiger. I would not be without it.

I honestly consider every now and then whether I should replace Spaces with YouControl Desktops. I do miss the spinning cube effect, as well as the Menu Bar desktop switcher, which Spaces does not provide (you pretty much have to use the keyboard to get a quick move from one desktop to another).

spaces has a menubar desktop switcher...

SpacesMenu.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Doh!!!! Thanks NPuter. I even have that option enabled - I thought all it did was display the number of the currently active space. I didn't realize that there was a switcher built in.

Nonetheless, it is not quite what I am looking for. All of the other multiple Desktop implementations I have used have a graphical desktop switcher - sort of like the Spaces icon on the Dock, but each space is clickable. Click the space on the icon and the desktop changes. This seems more obvious to me than the Menu Bar item, which is essentially a drop down list.

Thanks though - I didn't know even that was there. Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Doh!!!! Thanks NPuter. I even have that option enabled - I thought all it did was display the number of the currently active space. I didn't realize that there was a switcher built in.

Nonetheless, it is not quite what I am looking for. All of the other multiple Desktop implementations I have used have a graphical desktop switcher - sort of like the Spaces icon on the Dock, but each space is clickable. Click the space on the icon and the desktop changes. This seems more obvious to me than the Menu Bar item, which is essentially a drop down list.

Thanks though - I didn't know even that was there. Cheers!
yeah.. I agree, It can be better.
The YouControl: Desktops one is way cooler...

However the spaces menubar is better than nothing ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM

Thats a really cool app, now I'm tempted to replace spaces as well! It would be nice if in a future update apple included some optional spaces effects.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Quad 2.8 w/ 8800GT / Black MacBook 2.16 C2D
I assigned Mouse4 (squeeze) to Spaces, and I could switch around lightning fast without the keyboard. Exposé (Mouse3) even works inside the multi-view of Spaces, so I can see all 25 windows opened in my 4 desktops and select the one I need. Although, with 20 of those being PDFs in preview, its a bit of a crap shoot picking the one I really want!... BTW, I can't even imagine trying to have that many things opened in Windows, but OSX does it without a hiccup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.