Help with Wireless

Reaction score
So, I'm having a bit of trouble with my wireless connection. I am using a neighbors connection (have permission). It does not have a password on it at all. It does show up in the airport drop down menu, but when I click on it, it does not connect for some reason. Any idea what could be causing it?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Have you tried turning airport off and then on again? That or see if the router has filtering...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It's probably just a weak signal. I'd have them enable security and possibly reposition the router closer to your house. You need to enable security because without it, all of your transmissions are being sent in plain text over the air. Obviously things like passwords, credit cards numbers and other personal information are ripe for the plucking by anyone who knows what they're doing.

OP
B
Reaction score
OK, I'll check out the security thing. I have turned on and off the airport card, still with no avail. As for now, I have the router as close to my house as possible. I have been able to pick up signal from the router before, but for some reason it just stopped working today.

OP
B
Reaction score
Also, it is on the top of my list and I can click on it, but it doesn't do anything.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I'll check out the security thing. I have turned on and off the airport card, still with no avail. As for now, I have the router as close to my house as possible. I have been able to pick up signal from the router before, but for some reason it just stopped working today.

Note that the security needs to be enabled on the router itself. Have you talked with your neighbor about the status of the router? It may just need a reboot.

Reaction score
You need to enable security because without it, all of your transmissions are being sent in plain text over the air. Obviously things like passwords, credit cards numbers and other personal information are ripe for the plucking by anyone who knows what they're doing.
Really? Name one web site that accepts credit card numbers in the clear, without HTTPS. And for sites where passwords actually matter, your password is hashed, not sent in the clear.

Robert

OP
B
Reaction score
yea, i have talked to him. He just rebooted it. I'm not quite sure why it would be sending out a signal if it needs to reboot. Do routers do that? Also, the reboot did nothing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, MacBook, iPod
Having the same problem...

Glad to know I'm not alone...

Here's my sitch...

Wife's MacBook is fully connected to network, but not the internet.

My MacBook Pro is where I'm e-mailing this from, so I've obviously got a connection to the internet.

Our house-mate has a PC laptop that connects fine as well.

We've taken the MacBook in for service and everything is fine with the computer.

We always make sure in the settings that we're using DHCP.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Really? Name one web site that accepts credit card numbers in the clear, without HTTPS. And for sites where passwords actually matter, your password is hashed, not sent in the clear.

Robert

True, with an SSL session, there would be client/server encryption. But I'm sure you'll agree that it's ideal to have some form of encryption between the client and the WAP.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea, i have talked to him. He just rebooted it. I'm not quite sure why it would be sending out a signal if it needs to reboot. Do routers do that? Also, the reboot did nothing.

Routers are small computers that run an OS like any other, and as such often need a reboot to get sorted out. Has he made any configuration changes to the router? How about changes to the house?

OP
B
Reaction score
yea, he has reset the router like 3 times now. weird. Is there any way I can test to see if my wireless isn't having problems connecting to wireless signals? It is obviously picking them up, but for some reason, it won't let me connect.

Reaction score
True, with an SSL session, there would be client/server encryption. But I'm sure you'll agree that it's ideal to have some form of encryption between the client and the WAP.
I would definitely NOT recommend using wireless without encryption. It is as secure as shouting all you secrets in the street.

Tex

Reaction score
Glad to know I'm not alone...

Here's my sitch...

Wife's MacBook is fully connected to network, but not the internet.

My MacBook Pro is where I'm e-mailing this from, so I've obviously got a connection to the internet.

Our house-mate has a PC laptop that connects fine as well.

We've taken the MacBook in for service and everything is fine with the computer.

We always make sure in the settings that we're using DHCP.

How do you know that your wife's MacBook is fully connected to the network? Can she transfer files or otherwise access the other computers on the network?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Try switching between WEP and WPA encryption.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
My first thought is it's probably either a weak signal and/or the router you're connecting to is competing for bandwidth on channel 6 and, therefore, is really slow, if you can connect to it at all. Ask the owner to change the channel the router is broadcasting on and see if that helps.

As far as the debate about securing a wireless connection (with WPA), it is definitely a good idea but not for the reasons I've read here. The problem is if is not secured, anyone who can see the network can get on the network ... and access computers connected to the network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Try switching between WEP and WPA encryption.
WEP is useless. You can google WEP and find out how to break WEP encription. WPA with a good password that can't easily be guessed is much more secure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.