Help with DVD

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the Mac, and I love it! I am having an issue that I hope someone can help me with.
I am trying to rip a dvd to IMovie so I can use the footage to make a dvd. This is not a movie or anything. It is video shot for me by someone in Kenya for a dvd I am putting together. I am not hugely talented at this stuff. If anyone can help me with getting these on the hard drive, I would appreciate it!
:D

Reaction score
Greetings

Have a search for a DVD ripping program. Some swear by MactheRipper, but there are others...

iMovie likes a dv input so having ripped the DVD, use VisualHub to convert to this format and import it to iMovie. Depending on the length of the movie, these operations can take quite a time. Have a beer, take the dog for a walk...

BTW I recommend David Pogue's book 'The Missing Manual' for all things iMovie and iDVD.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers Mitcherooney

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
A program called handbrake can help you out there

It can rip to various formats

mac the ripper is good, but will create a Video TC folder - I am not sure if iDVD will import that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Without double-checking, I think Handbrake will rip and convert to .dv at the same time, so you don't have to bother buying VisualHub (although if you do a lot of video work it's a handy app to have).

Generally home-made video DVDs don't have any encryption so MacTheRipper et al would be pointless in this case.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.