Seeing what is using up my HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Macbook Pro; 20" 2.0 GHz iMac.
Hi, there is something taking up a lot more space than expected on my HD but I don't know what it is. How can I quickly view what is taking up space on my HD?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
My guess would be to many applications. Check your applications folder. If everything looks fine then check your documents and music folders. If you right click on each one and select "Get Info" it will tell how much space each folder is taking.

*edit*

CWA's way looks easier

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks a lot for the software suggestions, there's nothing on the mac that does this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Not that I have ever seen

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks a lot for the software suggestions, there's nothing on the mac that does this?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you want something that inventories your Hard Disk and gives you a report of what is taking up space and how much is being taken, correct? If so, the answer is no - just as with Windows, you'll need a third party tool to perform that kind of inventory.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I've just checked the GB on my HD and it's about 75 GB.

When I add up the different elements on my places in finder (inc my HD) it adds up to 75 too.

But, my itunes library appears on my HD and again in the Music place.

Does that sound right? I would think that is ok but surely Music just shows part of the HD and doesn't count twice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Your iTunes library is (by default) stored in /Users/<youraccount>/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/

I'm not exactly sure that I understand what you mean, by being there it is on your HD.

I really recommend Disk Inventory X, it graphically displays everything on your hard drive via colored rectangles. I can tell that using something that doesn't come with OS X disturbs you, but you might be surprised :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
The iTunes library depending on how you have it setup either copies music from the original location or reads it from the original location. Check which one you are using, if its the copy the file and play it from /Music/iTunes etc... then you can delete the original one (i.e. from the desktop)

I recommend having a backup though.

*WOOPS* me and walmartconnect posted at the same time*

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, that was it... plus I forgot I'd transfered previous system stuff over using migration assistant.

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
I use a freebee called Disk Inventory X, it's simply amazing, not only will it tell you what is on your drive, it also provides a graphical map, I also use it's close cousin WinDirStat on the Windows Machines, does exactly the same thing, the graphical map is awesome. Just my 2 bits

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.