• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Panasonic HDC-SD9 compatibility question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White macbook 2GHZ & 2gb
Does anyone own a Panasonic HDC-SD9 HD camcorder. I read on a couple of forums that these had issues ie import into Imovie. I am planning to buy one but not sure if it will import with my macbook. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
This link claims that camera has trouble with iMovie. The blogger eventually got it to work with FCP.

If memory servers correctly, Panasonic video cameras seem to be problematic with Macs. Which ever camera you choose, make sure it works well with the software/hardware you intend to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I had read quite a bit about iMovie not being able to import/edit HD content (1080i).. I ended up getting the Sanyo Xacti HD1000, and figured worse case, I'd just use the 720p @ 60fps. I then downloaded avc1decoder and iMovie has no problem playing, importing, and editing 1080i clips.

The camcorder is AWESOME!!! I played some 1080i clips today on my high-def TV and all I can say is WOW!!!! I was absolutely amazed!!!!! I played in over and over with my jaw on the floor! :D

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White macbook 2GHZ & 2gb
Thanks for the tips guys..Still debating as I would really not want to go back to Windows to import these files..The link you give was talking about an apple update to get Imovie 08 to work with 1080p/24..hope it is out soon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
That link said a lot that you may want to review. I found this link too which might be help. You'll have to do a bit a research on it though.

Why are you so stuck on one camera. There are several nice HD cameras out there now to choose from and they may be more friendly with your Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.