Dowloaded firefox volume on desktop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air OS X 10.7 1.7 Intel Core i5 4GB, MacMini mid-2011
New mac - yea!

I downloaded firefox to use, and there is now an icon on my desktop - if I Get info it says it is a volume. If I drag to the trash, it becomes "eject" - what is this 'volume'? If I eject, I can't use firefox anymore. Have I done something wrong in setting up the application?

I've got firefox on my dock, but when I open it, I get a strange small window that has the firefox icon with an arrow pointing to another icon and and arrow from there pointing to an icon for the applications folder.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
you have mounted a disk image from the firefox install download

This is how most macs are installed

You need to drag the firefox application to your applications folder - a simple copy is all you need to install

from their drag the icon now copied in to your applications folder to the doc to set up a permanent link to firefox in your doc

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
take that firefox out of your dock, it's a disk image, not an app.

open the one on your desktop, drag the icon inside to your applications folder. then if you want, drag the one from your app folder to the dock as a shortcut.

then drag the disk image to the trash to eject (or eject it from finder). and then delete it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
1. Remove the firefox icon from the dock. That's the installer.
2. Double click on the firefox volume
3. open your applications folder
4. Drag the firefox icon (that small window you were talking of earlier) into your applications folder.

Now it's installed :)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
louishen: win
eric: place
Dysfunction: show

:D

Reaction score
This gets a lot of new Mac users. Most programs you download from the internet are .dmg. When you double click on it it mounts a disk image on your desktop. It's kind of the same as if you put a CD into your computer or connect an external hard drive and it appears on the desktop.

What you have to do is drag the firefox application into your applications folder. That will essentially install the app. Then you can eject the volume and delete the .dmg file.

Most developers help you out by making little diagrams and creating a shortcut to your applications folder. Like for firefox, click and drag the firefox icon, following the arrow, to the applications folder.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
but you did offer up unique info. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
Rather than ship apps in an exe installer, zip file etc.. Mac apps are usually enclosed in a DMG.

Think of a DMG as a virtual disk, a file based install CD (although they can be writeable). You should always copy the application from the DMG into applications and then eject the install DMG.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.