Need source for best guide to set up home theater/digital hub

D

desert_rose

A broken DVD player (set up conventionally to aging TV) has spurred me to investigate using one of our Powerbooks (new G4 1 GHz, 768 MB SDRAM) to set up a new home entertainment center.

I have spent an hour searching MacWorld and other sites (including this one) and apparently my keywords aren't striking what i need.

I simply want a one-stop guide to how best to set up our system to wire our computer to a TV for playing DVDs; stereo or iPod setup (I have a new iPod); and other cool ideas. We have latest Airport Extreme for internet (satellite hookup - we live "off the grid" in the middle of nowhere so that's our main line to the world).

I am starting basic (like i had no idea what DiVx was!). What kind of TV would i need (we don't watch regular TV anyway), stereo, etc? Where is best guide to this on the net?

Thanks!

Roseann/Desert Rose

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I currently have my g4 cube hooked to about 100 watts of reciever power and lots of speakers, Im not sure how to get video from your powerbook to the tv, but I think youll need an adapter like this
I have mine hooked up for surround ound on my mac, no video, I use this

OP
R

RPM

Depending on your audio gear (reciever) you can connect it digitally or in analog, like the post above- also demending on the powerbooks out puts. Your TV will need some type of input also, S-video would be the best providing you powerebook has it. If your TV does not have any inputs, just FPiN (cable) you need an RF to Line Level converter.

OP
D

desert_rose

Great information, thanks -- but your acronyms and shorthand are Greek to me! That's why this newbie needs some sort of "Total Guide to Digitizing Your Home Entertainment" - in plain English!!

RPM said:
Depending on your audio gear (reciever) you can connect it digitally or in analog, like the post above- also demending on the powerbooks out puts. Your TV will need some type of input also, S-video would be the best providing you powerebook has it. If your TV does not have any inputs, just FPiN (cable) you need an RF to Line Level converter.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.