My Music and iTunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.66 Intel Core Duo 4GB RAM 320GB HD
I added one cd's worth of music to the 'My Music' folder. I started iTunes, and played the files in iTunes, then burned a cd using iTunes.
Then I was poking around in Finder and noticed that the music in the My Music folder had been duplicated in the iTunes folder.

Can I expect this behavior all the time?

Can I safely delete the file in the My Music folder?

I also noticed that Aperture does the same thing.

Can someone please explain this to me. I want to properly manage my files without bloating my Hard Drive unnecessarily.

Thank you
-Mark (Noob)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
regardless of where you place your music, by default music will be copied in to the itunes folder set in the itunes preferences.

If you want itunes to play and manage your music, leave the copy in the itunes folder and get rid of the other files.

It all depends on how you want itunes to handle your music files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
iTunes manages the music for you, so you can go ahead and delete the first music folder. that's right, drag it to the trash.

It does this, so not to cause problems with moved files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
regardless of where you place your music, by default music will be copied in to the itunes folder set in the itunes preferences.

If you want itunes to play and manage your music, leave the copy in the itunes folder and get rid of the other files.

It all depends on how you want itunes to handle your music files

You can stop this by simply telling iTunes to not copy it in. It's in iTunes prefs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd
Whenever I aquire new music, I goto itunes and tell it to add the files and artwork. Then delete the original files.

Go into your itunes music dir, and see how organized it is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.