Aspiring Journalist/Photo Journalist.

Reaction score
Hello all, I am currently in school studying Journalism and would love to get my masters in Photo Journalism (I don't think it is gonna happen). So my question is this: Would it be best to purchase a DSLR (was thinking the NIKON D40). My true love is sports and I would need a camera that can take pictures pretty fast and clearly when something is in motion.

Q1: Best Camera for shooting sports etc...
Q2: With a DSLR Camera what are some of the major elements that I will need to know? I am reading up on it, but what are the things you have used more then the others. I heard about HDR? it makes pictures look pretty sick...

Thanks in advance,
Erik "leécrivain" Dorn

OP
E
Reaction score
The NIKON D40 is gonna be ok for now (since I won't have to do any serious shooting for a few years, just classes). When I need to shoot seriously I am gonna get the NIKON 70-300 mm lense. Thanks for those links man.

Reaction score
Hello all, I am currently in school studying Journalism and would love to get my masters in Photo Journalism (I don't think it is gonna happen). So my question is this: Would it be best to purchase a DSLR (was thinking the NIKON D40). My true love is sports and I would need a camera that can take pictures pretty fast and clearly when something is in motion.

Q2: With a DSLR Camera what are some of the major elements that I will need to know? I am reading up on it, but what are the things you have used more then the others. I heard about HDR? it makes pictures look pretty sick...

Thanks in advance,
Erik "leécrivain" Dorn

I'll try to tell you as much as I know, and hopefully I can help.

First off. Good luck in your future with journalism. I wish you the very best.

Now for your questions.

1) Camera doesn't matter. I'm serious. When it comes to sports photography, the camera isn't the main factor. It is your lens. Remember this saying: "Camera bodies come and go, but good glass (lens) will last forever."

Now with that... I'm not saying get a bad camera, or camera plays no part whatsoever. No, not at all. Your camera is important, but do not base your decision on the camera. Canon and Nikon (Sony too), they all have excellent cameras, and more importantly, amazing lens's.

Look for these in your camera decision:

-Frames Per Second (How fast you can take back-to-back images)
-ISO Speeds and quality (Higher ISO's will let you shoot faster, but will grain your image, unless your camera can handle high ISO's)
-Metering (How your camera measures the scene and gives you correct exposure time and aperature.

The megapixels don't matter too much. Don't get a camera just because it is 12 megapixels. Megapixels don't necessarily mean better quality. All it means is how big can you print something. Of course the higher megapixels equal a bit sharper images, but that also cost's a LOT more money, and isn't exactly worth it, unless you plan to pursue this as your future career, and know you will be able to pay off your investments.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that don't invest in the camera, as much as you do in your lens(s).

When you do sports photography, you need a FAST LENS. I'm talking Canon L line lenses, and Nikon Zoom-Nikkor 2.8 lenses, (naming a few).

You'll need a fast lens, at least 2.8. But they will cost you. Remember, this is what you will be investing in for your future career, right?

Canon's legendary "white" L lenses are the top choice for the majority of professional sports photographers. Watch any football game, and watch the sidelines. Tell me how many white lenses you spot, that aren't being covered ;)

I'm not bashing Nikon, not at all. Nikon has great lenses.

Basically, research around photography forums, and research Nikon and Canon's lenses. Canon's L lenses and Nikons zoom-nikkor lenses.

I'll just say you'd probably want the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM from Canon as a start. Or the equivalent from Nikon ^. But you might also want the 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS from Canon. Or the equivalent from Nikon.

The range and speed is important, which in the end, reflect the high price tag.

So invest in the lens, more than the camera. A camera like a Canon 20D, 30D, 40D, 400D.

Or Nikon D40, D40x, D80, D200.

D200s are pretty nice and you can find them cheaper now that the D300 is out.

As far as your second question is concerned, basically, read books on DSLRs and research on photography forums. HDR is High Dynamic Range, which is the process of combining multiple different exposures of the same shot to create a "perfect" exposure, and using Tone Mapping, you can achieve that "sick" look.

Let me know if I can answer anymore questions.

All the best,
-AC

Reaction score
No problem :)

Great signature by the way :D

I love it.

Good luck.

-AC

Reaction score

Thanks in advance,
Erik "leécrivain" Dorn

I own a d40, and d300. I would suggest you get AT LEAST a d80, preferably a d300 or d3. A d300 can shoot 8 images a second with a battery pack. You will eed a fast shutter speed. I am VERY lucky to pop off 3 photos a second on a d40 because I shoot in raw. Sometimes you need to shot three images a second to get the sequence of the sport. A d80 would be good as well. do yourself a favor (and a save yourself a lot of frustration) and get a d80 or d300. d80 and d300 also have higher iso's.

OP
E
Reaction score
I have a friend who is does photography and he said that the D40 would be to small anyways... (my hand are pretty big lol) so i am currently looking into the D80 my budget wont allow for a D300 but I would love to get it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
A used 20D is a good option too. You can find them for $400 and they have almost the same set of features as Canon's 30d.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.