worm in my ipod

Reaction score
I dont know how it got there, but I cant delete it. I tried using the command sudo rm -fr on the folder called RECYCLER but it it tells me operaction not permitted, the folder has a lock on it. any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I dont know how it got there, but I cant delete it. I tried using the command sudo rm -fr on the folder called RECYCLER but it it tells me operaction not permitted, the folder has a lock on it. any ideas?

Apparently at one time you had your iPOD hooked up to a PC running XP or Vista? Anyway, Recycler was placed on the iPOD when you hooked it to a PC that is formatted to NTFS. By default the Recycler folder is a hidden system folder and can not normally be deleted without removing the hidden system attributes.

Hook the iPOD back to the PC as before and "empty" the recycle bin. If that doesn't work, with the iPOD still hooked to the PC, right click on the Recycler folder, select properties, and then remove the checks from each of its attributes. Afterward, you can delete the folder from your iPOD.

Regards.

OP
tapioca
Reaction score
thanks for the advice. I didnt want to plug my ipod to a pc because there was an autorun file targeting to the worm, so I pluged it to a linux machine and using the same command (sudo rm -rf) I could delete it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.