• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Post your favorite/memorable childhood memory

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" G4 iMac dome, 1.25 ghz, OS 10.5.4. 5th Gen 80gb iPod Video
Can be good or bad, something you still remember or was told to you.
I'll start, mine's about a dog bite. Hope you enjoy.

I had my early childhood growing up in the Philippines near Clark Air Base during the 70s. My father was in the USAF. Back then the majority of my Filipino relatives lived in the PI and a lot lived near us. Daily visits were a common thing.

One day when I was 5 or 6, we threw a party at our house for family and friends. We owned a small dog, a mutt, not really sure what it was. It had short white hair and his name was Jeffrey. He happened to be chained up in the backyard for the party and was barking up a storm. Finally my mom got fed up with him and told me to give him a plate of scrap food for him to eat. I set the plate down for Jeffrey and he starts chomping away. I stay with him to help calm him down, petting and saying things like, "You need to be quiet. You can't roam around with all these people here."

Jeffrey stops eating and looks at me with a head tilt as though disliking my patronizing tone and then bites me in the mouth. I run inside screaming with blood on my face. Someone grabs me and takes me to the bathroom. He holds me underneath the shower head while the water washes off the blood. I get driven to the hospital for stitches.

I learned this part later on: My dad was furious with the dog, naturally, and wanted the dog destroyed. One of my uncles told him he'd take care of it. My dad insisted, "I want this dog destroyed. He bit one child, he'll do it again." My uncle once again said he'd take care of it.

Back to me: A few days later I'm at my uncle's house (the same one who took Jeffrey). Inside the kitchen a lot of my female relatives were preparing dinner of fish and rice. They're chopping off fish heads and tails with butcher knives and gutting them. Quite a nasty sight for a kid. I still won't eat seafood to this day. I ask my aunt, "What else are you cooking?"
"I got something on the stove."
I walk to the stove and peer inside the pot. There I discover my former dog Jeffrey boiling in water.
"Um, can I have peanut butter & jelly?"

The end.:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
I don't really remember much of my childhood... which is pretty sad because I'm only 18...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I meet the actor who played Doctor Who (John Pertwee back then in the 70's) in a pub where by parents were having a lunch time drink (i was drinking coke) (I was about 7 years old)

I assumed he WAS the Doctor and asked him where the Tardis was parked.

He told me the Tardis was just outside and round the corner - I went for a look and couldn't see it.

He told me his assistant must have briefly gone off with it, but it would be back by the time he needed to time travel again.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i just sorted though a lot of memories int he last couple minutes, considering what might be my "favorite" memory. lot of things like first "make out/kiss", various moments with role playing games, concerts, etc...

but i think i have to go in another direction.

favorite, and/or most memorable moment?
my first nervous breakdown when i was 17 - christmas eve 1987

it really was the first time i remember really feeling anything in a really intense way. luckily i had a basement bedroom and my parents didn't think it would be weird for me to skip out on part of a major family event, and i could play music loud-ish and they didn't care since the family was so loud... i cried for a few hours, dented the concrete floor under my carpet with a hammer i was using to put my sisters toys together, lifted weights to exhaustion all in an attempt to deal with years of frustration pouring out of me.
i eventually passed out for an hour or two.
i woke up probabaly around 11pm, exhausted, incredibly congested from crying, my head pounding... i'd never felt better though. it was the first moment in my life that i'd ever felt awake, felt alive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I'll skip the 'favorite' memory and go for one of my most memorable. When I was about 7 I think, we moved from Europe to Minnesota (lived there a whopping one winter before moving to Wisconsin). My cousin, predictably, played ice hockey and I wanted to go watch his practice. It was at an outdoor rink. Those of you from that part of the country are aware of the multiple skating areas that exist at those rinks.

So I'm shuffling around on the ice, on one of those outlying rinks, as I hadn't learned how to skate yet. Anyway, so I licked my chapping lips (not knowing any better yet either) and promptly fell face first on the ice. As you can imagine this bonded my lips to the ice instantly. At this point I'm in 7 year old panic mode, I really don't recall much until my uncle and father were found. Without a whole lot of other options they slowly peeled my face off the ice. I'm certain you can imagine the gory details that that entailed. :eek:

To this day, I'm really not exactly sure if this was a horrific or hilarious memory :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
I meet the actor who played Doctor Who (John Pertwee back then in the 70's) in a pub where by parents were having a lunch time drink (i was drinking coke) (I was about 7 years old)

I assumed he WAS the Doctor and asked him where the Tardis was parked.

He told me the Tardis was just outside and round the corner - I went for a look and couldn't see it.

He told me his assistant must have briefly gone off with it, but it would be back by the time he needed to time travel again.

O_O

You met John Pertwee?

You, you, you...

LUCKY!

By far my favorite Doctor in the whole series.

Anyway, childhood memory, hmm, probably August 26th, 1995, the day my mom told me we were going to see my Aunt, and we somehow wound up at Pine Knob (open air concert arena, since renamed to DTE Music Theater).

She walked me down to the seats, 18th row center, with me not knowing who it was that was playing that night (I was 6, much more interested in the "Why are we here?" than the "Who's playing?") and the opening act left the stage, and out walks five guys. When they started playing, I realized, "OMG BON JOVI!" and I nearly peed myself from excitement.

Up until I discovered Bon Jovi, the only music I knew was Country because of my Aunt's obsession with John Michael Montgomery, and boy, am I glad I found Bon Jovi. Opened up the floodgates for me.

Reaction score
I don't know about most memorable but the one that comes to my mind is this one: I grew up in St Louis and each year my Dad would give me a choice. I could either go to the Ringling Brothers, Barnum and Baily circus or go to the Forest Park Highlands (an old amusement park). This particular (I was about 6 or 7) we were waiting in line to enter the arena for the circus when I noticed some signs on the small building off to the side of us. It was a building that was used as restrooms and had drinking fountains in front of it. I became aware, for the first time, that there was signs on the building as well as both sets of drinking fountains. The signs read either "Whites only" or "Colored only." I was so baffled by these signs that when the line moved up I just stood there trying to make sense of it. Dad finally got my attention and had me move and asked me what was so interesting. I pointed out the signs and asked him "Why!!??" He really couldn't answer. All he could say was "because." What amazed me then, and still does is why a person so young could be born in such a timeframe, in a prejudiced family and time (this was the 50's) yet not be prejudiced myself. To me such behavior did not (and still does not) make any sense.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
wow, papa. since i was born at the extreme tail end of the civil rights movements (for blacks and women), i missed quite a bit of that, at least the institutionalized racism if not the actual racism that persisted afterwards. interesting story, glad you ended up the way you did. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
This is an easy one. When I was 5, my aunt and uncle got married. At the wedding, I laid a kiss on my pretty cousin, Becky. The wedding photographer got what is now one of those family famous pictures so it is forever documented. (I'd post it but I've yet to get my mother's permission to borrow it so I get digitize it.) It is a memory I'll never forget. I had a crush on her all the way up until we were out of high school.

OP
gary61071
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" G4 iMac dome, 1.25 ghz, OS 10.5.4. 5th Gen 80gb iPod Video

Just to set the record straight, from what I was told by my Filipino relatives, eating dog meat is a rare thing for them. I know for most Asian cultures it's a frequent thing. Do the Filipino people still eat dog meat today? I honestly don't know. But I'm sure there are some areas of the country that does.

I get about half and half reactions of "that's awesome" and "ewww gross" to this story everytime I tell it.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Alu 13.3 Inch , 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo , 2.2gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM & Ipod Touch 16gb
Mine was on skates the time when I learnt my first powerslide on the ice. Which was awesome! I was only 8 then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Just to set the record straight, from what I was told by my Filipino relatives, eating dog meat is a rare thing for them. I know for most Asian cultures it's a frequent thing. Do the Filipino people still eat dog meat today? I honestly don't know. But I'm sure there are some areas of the country that does.

I had the pleasure of eating dog meat at an Asian friend's house. His Dad made it american style, on the grill, smothered in Open Pit barbecue sauce.

Didn't tell me what it was until after the fact.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
Watching The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies with my dad. I still remember the kids going berserk when Vanilla Ice busted out rapping with, "Go Ninja! Go Ninja! Go!"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.