Newest switcher

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.66 Intel Core Duo 4GB RAM 320GB HD
That would be me (Mark).
I am day 3 with my new iMac. I've got the 20" 2.66 Dual core with 4G ram.
I have a few observations, and a few critiques. (mostly due to being new)

Observations

1-No anti-virus!:Smirk:
The very fact the MS would release an unsecured OS then charge for 'One Care' (anti-virus) is insane.

2-The keyboard is surprisingly easy to use.:Smirk:
I came from a MS ergo-board that I absolutely loved to this aluminum thing. Well, this aluminum thing is pretty comfortable.(and it keeps the wife off the iMac)

3-Installing and uninstalling applications is pretty easy once you understand what's going on.:Smirk:

4-OSX is very slick, very quick.:Smirk:
I'm still sorting out how to do things. I imagine it'll come with time.

Critique

1-The 'end' button used to take me to the end of a line of text.
It seems to do nothing on a Mac.:eek:

2-I can't seem to 'import' my photos from a camera AND rename them according to date taken.:Shouting:
Presently using Aperture (I'm very new) please help if you can.

3-No task bar.:| (or equivalent)
I could have several 'windows' open and if one is very large, I can't know what's behind it without hitting Expose(F3).

BTW, When I set up Aperture, it asked if I wanted to import 'projects' (or something like that) and I clicked 'ok'. Now I have a bunch of crap that I do not want in Aperture. Can I remove all this with some sort of 'undo' or do I have to manually delete each project, directory, etc.(in Aperture).
**AND**, ... if I do delete the project in Aperture, does the photo exist anywhere else?

Well, .... That's my long winded introduction.
I'm Mark:D , and I like having a MacO:) .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
1-The 'end' button used to take me to the end of a line of text.
It seems to do nothing on a Mac.

On most Mac OS X applications, the key works differently than other platforms. When the key is pressed, the window scrolls to the bottom, while the caret position does not change at all; that is, the end key is tied to the window, not the text box being edited [1]. To get the same result as the Windows platform (that is, going to the end of the current line of text), one can press the right arrow while holding down the Command key.

2-I can't seem to 'import' my photos from a camera AND rename them according to date taken.
Presently using Aperture (I'm very new) please help if you can.
I don't use Aperture, but to rename a file select and press return.

I could have several 'windows' open and if one is very large, I can't know what's behind it without hitting Expose(F3).
Expose is the way to flip between windows. It takes some getting used to if you're new, but OS X works in a different way from Windows.

I've reassigned my mouse buttons so that the scroll wheel shows all windows within the current application, the side buttons for all windows and the right button to view the desktop.

Windows has a one application/window at any one time approach, like a flipchart. OS X is more fluid, and much more useful for the people who often use Macs. I'm always flipping between Photoshop, Illustrator, QuarkXPress, Mail and Safari and often need to see one, two or three windows next to each other at the same time. Windows' rigid approach would be a pain in my job.

You'll get used to it- you just need to unlearn a few Windows (bad) habits :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.2 ghz , ipod classic 80 gig and ipod nano 4 gig
you can use go on expose just bye moving your mouse to one of the corners of the screen. i found this very usefull as i switched 5 days ago.
go to
system preferences
expose and spaces
then just chose.. sorry if you already know about this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
1) Mac is not some magic OS that is immune from Viruses. It just has such a small market share that less attention is on making viruses for it. The purpose of a virus is not just to mess with people. It is to compromise corporate systems to make a profit. Mac is used in the business world so little it is not worth their time to bother with it most of the time. To say that Windows is designed to be unsecured is silly. It is also untrue. Vista is actually quite secure.

2) Both iPhoto and Aperture will sort your photos by date. Nameing your photos by date is less important when you have intelligent applications that can sort them for you.

3) There IS a taskbar. Look at your dock. The lights under the icons indicate the app is running. Just like having the app have a spot on the taskbar. Want to bring that app to the front? Click it again. What to alt tab? You still can. Want to have an EXTRA feature that windows can't do? Use Expose.

4) The keyboard is almost exactly the same as the keyboards for windows. There is really only a single key that is different. Instead of a windows key you get a command key. In Mac the command key works much like the control key did in windows. With a windows keyboard the windows key when used on a mc becomes the command key.

OP
tak2mark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2) Both iPhoto and Aperture will sort your photos by date. Naming your photos by date is less important when you have intelligent applications that can sort them for you.

When I import photos with aperture, where do the image files go? Can I delete the image files with Aperture or do I have to browse to them and delete manually?

-Mark

** I shouldn't have said anything about a 'task bar' I'm finding expose very handy! **

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
With Aperture you can choose to import into the Aperture library or you can keep your own library of photos in your own folders and just use Aperture to access them. The answer to your question depends on the method you choose.

OP
tak2mark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The answer to your question depends on the method you choose.

I'm going to have to spend some time with Aperture. I appreciate the quick help I'm getting on this forum.

-Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook 14" 1.42GHz 512MB Ram
Microsoft doesn't release unsecured operating systems people target them because more people use them than mac, not their fault.
Also Vista is one of the most secure Operating Systems ever made.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Not a fan of MS myself and Vista was the 'straw the broken the camel's back' for me but, I have to admit, it wasn't because of security issues. It is pretty secure. I had other problems with it and grew tired of fighting Windows machines, which I had done for 11 years. I've not had to fix this MB at all and am very happy with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
1) Mac is not some magic OS that is immune from Viruses. It just has such a small market share that less attention is on making viruses for it. The purpose of a virus is not just to mess with people. It is to compromise corporate systems to make a profit. Mac is used in the business world so little it is not worth their time to bother with it most of the time. To say that Windows is designed to be unsecured is silly. It is also untrue. Vista is actually quite secure.

Not this old chestnut! http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10/06/linux_vs_windows_viruses/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Good read Alexis

The article only contained one slight error

It stated 40 viruses for the mac - those would be OS7-9 viruses that would not be able to do any harm to an OS X machine

more info here (not up to date but still relevant)

http://www.macobserver.com/editorial/2003/08/29.1.shtml

Reaction score
Both of your articles are from 2003. I'm sure things are a little different now. Windows is much more paranoid than it used to be, Vista especially.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.