Networking 10 Brand new G5s

G

g7ibby

My company just switched 50% of their users to PowerBooks G5s IMacs EMacs XYZMacs and A heathy dose of Epson printers so they can check their email and surf the internet.

Ok fine.

I'll go with this with open arms and see where it takes me.

Most of the switch has been pretty simple aside from people wanting to move their 200mbs worth of emails from the windows machines to the Macs. I had to tell them, sorry about their luck with that ordeal. Now my only major hold up at this point is that they are not the sharpest people around and have issues with the steps involved with using the finder to mount 4 network drives every morning and I cant really blame them.

Can anybody tell me step by step how to setup a script to mount these drive when the user boots up in the morning?

From what I can tell from some of the treads in this forum there is a way to use a script to auto munt the drive that are located on a windows server. The most promising that I found was this . . .

mount_smbfs //[username]@server/dir /path/to/mount/point

I have no real idea what this is or where to put it.
I know the username and server part but dont understand what the /path/to/mount/piont should be.
Is it going to use the stored passwords to get in or ask the user for them everyday?

Thanks
GL

OP
D

Dave_L

The easiest way to set the drives/share points to mount is:

1) Mount the drive(s) first onto the desktop.
2) Open "Accounts" in System Prefrences.
3) 4th tab across you will see "Startup Items"
4) Simply drag the mounted server icon into the startup window. OR click the "+" icon at the bottom of that window and then select the appropriate volume from the desktop. Start Items can also be used for applications as well.

Depending on your server settings (ie: allow user to save password, etc) will depend on wether or not they have to key in login/password every morning or not. Each time the machine restarts it will mount all servers that are available.

The mounted servers can also be dragged into the dock, right of the line next to the trash, so when a drive accidentally disconnects it can be easily reconnected again.

Hope this is what you were referring to ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.