Is it worth it?

Reaction score
Hi. I'm 17, about to be a senior in High School. I really want to get a laptop before college, even though it'll be my grad present. I just plan on taking great care of it an selling it. But I have a huge dilemma. I'm solid that I don't want Vista (uck). At first, I considered an Eee, but I just decided it wasn't what I needed. So, now I'm down to a Macbook or Macbook Pro. Besides the fact that it's a tiny bit faster, I really don't what's so fantastic about the Pro, besides the graphics card. Yet, I'm really drawn to it. I probably would end up getting the Macbook in black. I really just want others' opinions about it. Do you feel that the Macbook Pro is a worthy choice over the regular Macbook? If so, why? Please help me out.

*deleted*

Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi. I'm 17, about to be a senior in High School. I really want to get a laptop before college, even though it'll be my grad present. I just plan on taking great care of it an selling it. But I have a huge dilemma. I'm solid that I don't want Vista (uck). At first, I considered an Eee, but I just decided it wasn't what I needed. So, now I'm down to a Macbook or Macbook Pro. Besides the fact that it's a tiny bit faster, I really don't what's so fantastic about the Pro, besides the graphics card. Yet, I'm really drawn to it. I probably would end up getting the Macbook in black. I really just want others' opinions about it. Do you feel that the Macbook Pro is a worthy choice over the regular Macbook? If so, why? Please help me out.

The big differences come down to the screen size and the video card. If neither are important to you, save yourself (or your parents) a lot of money and go with the standard MacBook. Also note that this question has been asked many times, so do take advantage of the search feature for more detailed information.

P.S. I considered just getting a free Macbook or Pro from the referrals sights like *deleted* or *deleted*, but they only carry old versions running Tiger. And that's not gonna work for me.

Thanks![/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Those are mostly pyramid schemes. It's not worth your time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.14ghz || 120GB || IPHONE 3G 8GB JBken 4GB RAM || <3
Get the black. its just so sexy and the white macbook for $1099 doesnt have dvd burner =[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4
The cheapest MBP (base 2.4GHz $1999 model) is totally worth it. I know there's a large difference between the black book and base MBP but you get better screen, aluminum casing, backlit keyboard, graphic card and multi-touch. All of those features are worth the extra IMO. The $2500 2.5GHz model is NOT worth it.

eCh

Reaction score
It all comes down to what you need your computer for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Mac Book 2.4GHZ, 2GB
It all comes down to what you need your computer for?

I agree, 1st thing to do is making a list of what you're going to do with your laptop. That'll help you find out which laptop is appropriate to your needs.

For example if you're just going to stuff like email, instant messaging, listening music or watching movies, it doesn't really need the most powerful machine and the macbook will handle that perfectly!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
Hello there! Welcome to the forums. If you search around, you'll find a lot of threads on this very topic, but to put in my two cents for you:

I've had both laptops (Blackbook and Macbook Pro) and have had wonderful experiences with both. When I got into college, I started with a black macbook and got lots of use out of it for my first and part of my second year. I got back into gaming and photo editing/music though and decided to move up to the macbook pro. Not because the macbook was incapable, but because I wanted that extra ounce of "umph" if you will. If you're not a gamer and don't need a lot of extra horsepower, the black macbook is the way to go. (White if you want it even cheaper) You won't be disappointed either way though. Good luck!

Trent out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
glindawantsme17,

Nice name there... and I add my welcome to you, also.

Anyhow, if you don't like Vista, you're like me. Either a Macbook or a Pro will work just fine, it's a matter of requirements and cost. BUT, in either case, you can install Windows XP using Boot Camp and that way you can have both Mac and Windows, and not Vista :)

I'm using my Macbook right now with Windows XP and Mac on the same desktop, using XP in Parallels Convergence mode, and it's great. Consider, you can buy a Macbook and Widows XP and Parallels for the same price as a Pro (or less).

Something to think about! Good luck with school and Glinda,

Noel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.