Mail.... Stuffing up virtually everything

H

Hearny

Hey guys,
Bought a brand new iMac, 24" with the 2.8Ghz processor. Very convenient, well almost. Had the 250gb external HDD with all my data to transfer over, once finished activated the TimeMachine feature which formatted my HDD to set it up. No problems so far. Now the problem starts with Mail. It is dropping out my internet, timing out other apps and apparently random emails being sent and received..... Really frustrating... Talked with a few friends and Apple Techs, and they say to format the system and reload everything. I'm wondering if i can just delete Mail and all its settings and preferences without having to back up 180gb+ of data.... Wont be back into town for a few weeks so any information would be useful.
Unless there might be a different underlying problem anybody knows of...
Cheers again guys,
Hearny

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Hey guys,
Bought a brand new iMac, 24" with the 2.8Ghz processor. Very convenient, well almost. Had the 250gb external HDD with all my data to transfer over, once finished activated the TimeMachine feature which formatted my HDD to set it up. No problems so far. Now the problem starts with Mail. It is dropping out my internet, timing out other apps and apparently random emails being sent and received..... Really frustrating... Talked with a few friends and Apple Techs, and they say to format the system and reload everything. I'm wondering if i can just delete Mail and all its settings and preferences without having to back up 180gb+ of data.... Wont be back into town for a few weeks so any information would be useful.
Unless there might be a different underlying problem anybody knows of...
Cheers again guys,
Hearny
It's worth a try. For corrupt preference file, you can use Preferential treatment or OnyX. If it finds any, you can delete them. For the Mail app. use Pacifist.
Try repairing permissions as well with Disk Utility.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.