Help!! Need to find total file size of folders

Reaction score
Hi there,

I bought a mac today to do various bits and bobs... i am trying to find a way where i can select a certain number of files and get the total file size and how many files are within these. You can do it on windows by just selecting them, then right-click and properties and it works it all out for you.

when i try to get info it pings up about 100 info windows... have i got a bug in the software? this is stupid! I dont want to add up all the file sizes. As i need to know exact number of files and size for transferring to my ftp (dont want to go over a limit)

any ideas how to fix it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'm hoping one of the forum 'elders' will come up with a solution. I've tried and failed to make this work in Finder....it's very frustrating.

There are some Finder replacements out there:
Mac Explorer
Pathfinder

Not sure if they'll do what you want though....

OP
M
Reaction score
yeah it seems a bit silly really as to why you cant do something so simple... how do people cope with not being able to add up multiple folder sizes?

thanks for the info my freind, i shall have a look at those and see if it helps... its appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It does seem like a rather strange oversight....... try renaming files in List View....madness......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
There is an option under view to display folder sizes in the finder. I'm not at my mac now otherwise I'd give you the exact command. It took me a year and a half to find it, but that's because it took that long to fill up my drive!

Once you select it, it will start to fill it in. You don't want to leave it on as it slows it down.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the help but i couldnt find anything that worked... i ended up copying the files to my pc and doing it on there... ugh... i cant beleive this, its so stupid. Whats the policy on returning my mac? :Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
What you have to do is when you select all the files and right click on it hold down either the control key or the option key.

You'll see that when you hold the control key the options will change. The "Get Info" option will change to "Get Summary Info".

When holding the option key "Get Info" changes to "Show Inspector".

Either of those two will give you what you want. The Inspector is slightly different from a normal info box as it'll change if you select different things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Simple:

Select multiple files in Finder and then press Command+Option+i.

That will bring up the "comibined" inspector window, showing stats for all of the files combined. The Finder will automatically show that window instead of multiple "info" windows if you select a certain amount of files (I think more than 20).

EDIT: Alycia beat me to it ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.5ghz, 4 gig Ram, 250 hard drive, 512 nvidia
And you can customise your tool bar and add in the get info button and this will then show all the info for the folders in the finder window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2GHz
Open a terminal and use the df -h and du commands.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.