• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Clarity iMovie 08 vs Quicktime

Reaction score
Having downloaded via Firewire form the camera imovie08 clips look a bit wishy washy. I fired up the same raw DV clip in QT and it is clear as day.

Why doesn't the imovie look as clear?

Many thanks for ideas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I think iM08 displays the mini movie it creates for skimming. That quality likely isn't as nice as the original DV file. Also, the size of the playback image can have an affect, so make those the same when comparing.

I'd just create a small project clip, and export to QuickTime in the Apple Intermediate Codec format and look at the result in QiuckTime. The export would use the DV source, not the mini skimming movie, so it should look nice.

OP
S
Reaction score
I had been exporting via iTunes Large and it is messy vs a QT export. I tape golf swings at high frame rates so QT deinterlaced efforts come up way better. Many thanks for redirection of the export type.

Having done the QT file, if I wish to move the Event File to an external hard drive for possible future use, how do I move it AND the imovie Project File of the project which made the QT clip so the the MacbookPro can find both to use in future projects? Seems you need to move a package of stuff over to the Ext Drive not just the event?

Someone suggested QT Pro to edit in. Having imovie08 that seems a bit of a double up of editing capacity, or am I missing some simple useful things?

Again many thanks xstep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
See the third answer here.

I suspect you could move the appropriate project file from the iMovie Projects folder to another users account if you had to. Just haven't tried that.

Using QT Pro when you already have iM08 and could load iMovie HD seem wasteful. There are tricks QT Pro have that are useful, but for straight editing I'd go with iMovie or better.

OP
S
Reaction score
Previous post disappeared into cyberspace.

Thanks xstep. Worked well this end.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.