• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Saw a good deal on a Blu-Ray Player, it is worth it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I was at a local Best Buy checking out some TV's and saw a Samsung Bd-P1200 blu-ray player on sale for $169 (open item). I almost snapped it up, but hesitated and decided to check it out online. Some reviews say this player will not play some current and future blu-ray movies. Some say it's only a firmware update while others say it's hardware related and not upgradable. I've never looked into blu-ray players before, so I know very little about them.

I was planning on getting a new DVD player anyway with upconverting capability, but those run for anywhere from $50-200. Do you think this blu-ray player is a good deal, or a waste since it's possible new movies won't play?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I don't have that BD player, but mine has had regular firmware updates issued.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
I think that most Blu-ray have firmware updates, I know when I wanted to get one I was looking at everyone out there, but I actually ended up buying a PS3 because it has one, and I actually ended up loading Linux on it, so basically got another computer out of it. So I would say go with a PS3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Blu-ray players will always need a firmware upgrade. The encryption of blu-ray discs will change from time to time to further prevent copying.

I would make sure the player is 2.0 compatible for all of the online features. Make sure upgrading the firmware is easy to do. See if it supports TrueHD or DoblyHD (I think) audio features. One of the big features of Blu-ray is the lossless audio. The difference is astonishing even with a decent 5.1 surround sound system.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Looking at my research the PS3 will give you most bang for your buck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The PS3 is the best blu-ray player put there by a mile.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From what I've read this afternoon, it does seem the PS3 is the only Blu-ray player that offers up everything Blu-ray is capable of (and most HD DVD hardware was capable of). But I just don't want a "game console" in my home theater. Plus I've read it gets really hot and the fans are loud compared to stand-alone's which are basically silent.

I may just buy this unit to hold me over on infrequent blu-ray rentals until manufacturers get their act together by making units that do everything PS3 does, and at a more reasonable price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I leave it standing up so it stays cooler. I only hear it when the room is silent.

I think the future models will use 45nm processors so they will be cooler. They also made a mistake putting the CPU and GPU heatsinks together. I think they found a way to get the heat out better.

But with all of its features and ease of use, it makes a great home theatre system. It will stream movies from your Mac, you could store all of your music on it, watch movies, and play GTA IV the way it is meant to be played. :)

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I could access media from an NAS with it (including iTunes DRM'd media) and access it remotely from my MBP while away from home, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat! That's all I'm trying to do these days. The Blu-ray is more of an afterthought. I recently ordered a huge HDTV and I'm going to want to use it at it's full potential.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.