Manual?

Reaction score
When I have bought computers in the past, there was no manual and usually just a get a brief start-up guide. What comes with a Mac. specifically a MB or MBP? Do I need to spend some $ on a book to learn how to adjust to a Mac and Leopard after only having a PC and, if so, which one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
TBH I'm not sure what my mac came with. I found the best way to get used to it is just to sit and play with it for a while, it comes pretty easy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.5 GHz 2 GB RAM 250 GB HDD NViDA GeForce 8600 GMT
Welcome to the MacWorld:

haha...Now that you are switiching to a mac it'll take a while to get used to not spending on useless manuals books as you did for PC..It only comes with a brief booklet..like a start up guide...

I have only switched to mac 2 months before..and yet i have never opened that booklet which came with my macbook pro...Because Macs are so easy to understand...Everything is well organised..so it shouldn't be hard at all to get started with it...

So bottomline is..No Need of any stupid manuals for mac..

Cheers mate...Good decision to switch to mac..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
It does come with a pretty in depth manual though so if you do have basic questions you can look there. Although, I never did use mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
When I have bought computers in the past, there was no manual and usually just a get a brief start-up guide. What comes with a Mac. specifically a MB or MBP? Do I need to spend some $ on a book to learn how to adjust to a Mac and Leopard after only having a PC and, if so, which one?

I'd start by looking over Apple's switcher 101 info and then just playing around with your new mac.

If you want to get to know it to a little more depth just hang around these forums for a while.

If you want a book then the Leopard Missing Manual seems to be the most widely recognised 'must-have'.

HTH
mrplow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
If you want a manual - buy Mac OS X Leopard, The Missing Manual - it's in the Apple shops and is superb.

I reckon that any manual Apple produced wouldn't be half as good as the above.

Enjoy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
If you are having particular problems, forums and google is good, but "The missing manual" books seem to be really good. Also do a search within the forum because there have been threads posted with books that are recommended. I have a few of the "Visually Learn" books.

Mostly I didn't need them much and the biggest problem with Mac is getting past the PC way of thinking. For that reason alone, can be the only reason for manuals for a Mac... If you never bothered with a diff OS, it's quite possible that learning to use a mac would be a lot easier - so perhaps just 'doing' as opposed to looking for equivalents or comparisons would make things go a lot smoother... Yes the programs might be complicated (and that also allows for the need/want for a manual) but it is/was the same with PC which I learned intuitively and quickly. My biggest prob with the Mac is that I like my games and so I still have my PC and therefore it is still 'easier' <- I use that word loosely ;D, to sit at my PC and do things that I could be doing more efficiently with my mac (I'm so ashamed hehe).

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. My wife's cousin gave e copy of the Missing Manual book about switching to the Mac (but the Tiger edition) and have started reading that. I figure that although Leopard is what I will have, that at least I will learn some Mac stuff before I buy one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Magyarbill,

With your copy of the Missing Manual book, you're three-quarters of the way home :)

Noel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.