• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Thanks You Note for ex gf?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive
This June 1st would have marked our first anniversary together but for some reasons we mutually agreed to break up last month. I told her once that I will get her an Ipod but the one I ordered came broke so had to return it and totally forgot to get a replacement. I am now thinking of getting an Ipod without any engraving and make a slideshow with the pictures we took together and R Kelly's 'I believe I can Fly' in the background and with a thank you note at the end of the slideshow.

I choose I believe I can fly to say that I am doing Ok but thinking about it I am not really sure. I want to say something which will make sense for both of us. What do you think I should choose? She is not very much into music and all I know is that her fav track is Summer Wine by Nancy Sinatara. She listens to a lot of middle eastern music coz she is from there but I know nothing abt it.

And the slideshow will be emailed to her so its in a place which is hard to lose.

I have never done this before coz I dumped them or got dumped.

Suggestions please.

Thanks.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
keep the ipod.

put some music on it that makes you feel like steve mcqueen.

go find yourself a new girl.

Reaction score
I understand that it was mutual, but I don't know if it's a great idea to get your ex a gift, especially an expensive one with a romantic twist. That might send the wrong signal, like you want to get back with her. Unless thats what your going for, I don't recommend it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Unless you're trying to get back with this girl, I too would suggest keeping the iPod for yourself. Seems kinda silly to give it to some chick you're not going out with anymore.

OP
mojonandha
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive
Sorry... Should have mentioned that its gonna be a Shuffle coz she doesnt have a big collection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
keep the ipod.

Oh my god...

eric, you are my favorite.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
eric: great advice

are you to still good friends? if so you can still give it to her but i personally would keep it

Reaction score
I would have to agree with others on this. I think giving her an ipod would send the wrong signals. Even if you do want to get back together with her, buy her gifts is the wrong approach. You don't want her to think you are trying to buy her affection. Sounds to me like you need to be honest with yourself and decide what you want. If you want her back, then just tell her. Don't buy her gifts. If you don't and want to be friends with her, then show her that in ways that are genuine. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I don't know if it's a great idea to get your ex a gift, especially an expensive one with a romantic twist.
Seems kinda silly to give it to some chick you're not going out with anymore.
I think giving her an ipod would send the wrong signals. Even if you do want to get back together with her, buy her gifts is the wrong approach.
Ditto again.

To put it a more bluntly, sending a "Thank You" gift like that to an ex is just plain pointless. Actions like that are often interpreted by the girl as a sign of desperation, regret, insecurity and codependency issues.
How the relationship ended is of no consequence, it will still show a weakness of character to her.
If you're doing okay, then fine. You don't need to tell her, she will know by your actions, not your words or gifts or "thank you" cards.
If you want to remain friends, then do so... but, it's not like you would give the same gift to your best guy friend now is it? So don't give it to her.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
keep the ipod.

If there was a contest for post of the day, or of the week, this would be the winner!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
:D thx guys.

i wanted to use a different word/phrase, something like what's on sam jackson's wallet in pulp fiction, but this seemed to fit without getting me an infraction ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
keep the ipod.

This.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
The last thing my ex got from me was a terrified boy friend...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
:D thx guys.

i wanted to use a different word/phrase, something like what's on sam jackson's wallet in pulp fiction, but this seemed to fit without getting me an infraction ;P

nah, I like the Steve McQueen reference better. I wonder how many people know/remember him anyway. I wasn't even alive when he was big, but I know his work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
VI sounds like the kind of gift i would give my ex as well

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
nah, I like the Steve McQueen reference better. I wonder how many people know/remember him anyway. I wasn't even alive when he was big, but I know his work.

Everyone should know him. He was part of the greatest car chase ever on film.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
A thank you gift for dating? Nothing is more heartfelt than giving the ex a shuffle because she "let" you do that thing adults do with her.

Keep it, put some upbeat songs on it, and find yourself a new gf.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac, Intel core 2 duo, 2.16 GHz 1 GB Mem.
Advise requests concerning ex girlfriends should always have photos.---robtg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
A thank you gift for dating? Nothing is more heartfelt than giving the ex a shuffle because she "let" you do that thing adults do with her.

Keep it, put some upbeat songs on it, and find yourself a new gf.

That's a fantastic idea. I should try it next time ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.