Couple Questions Regarding Apple Software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz Core2Duo, 4gb PC5300 RAM, 200gb 7200RPM HD, nVidia 8600m GT 512mb
After a long time of waiting, I finally ordered my new MBP last night. 15" 2.5GHZ model, only upgrade was 200gb 7200RPM HD. Got a few questions.

1. Can anyone comment on how long it took for Apple to ship their MBP with the free shipping?
  2. As a college student, is iWork '08 worth it? I ordered MS Office '08 Student Edition, but I've heard keynote is far superior to powerpoint. iWork can be had on Amazon for $62. Is it worth it?
  3. Also for a college student, has anyone ever used Notebook 2.1? Is it a good program?
  4. I also needed a printer to take to college and ordered a HP C4385. It can connect via wifi. I have never used a wifi printer and was wondering if you have to connect it via something such as airport extreme, or can the computer and printer link directly? Reason I'm asking is because at UCSB students are forbidden from opening their own access points (eg, can't use airport extreme), so will I have to connect to the printer with a cable or does the printer have its own server? Sorry if this part is a bit confusing, I can try to clarify if necessary.

Thanks in advance everyone. And anything else you think a new switcher should know, please post!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook l Ipod nano 4gb l ipod classic 80 gb
I'm about to go to college too but im using the macbook with microsoft powerpoint, etc. you didnt ask this but just fyi Ruckus music player can't play on mac... its free music downloads and legal for college students so you dont get in trouble...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
After a long time of waiting, I finally ordered my new MBP last night. 15" 2.5GHZ model, only upgrade was 200gb 7200RPM HD. Got a few questions.

1. Can anyone comment on how long it took for Apple to ship their MBP with the free shipping?
  2. As a college student, is iWork '08 worth it? I ordered MS Office '08 Student Edition, but I've heard keynote is far superior to powerpoint. iWork can be had on Amazon for $62. Is it worth it?

Check the estimated date of delivery that Apple gave you. It is pretty much accurate. Shipping may take longer though because you changed the configuration of the computer.

As for iWork, I am a college student and I purchased iWork for my word processing. iWork is great for me and I see no reason why I would ever have to purchase MS Office.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
1. Mine shipped within three days. It arrived in less than a week from the day I ordered it.
2. iWork is definitely worth it, but if you've already purchased Office '08, I'd probably run with that.
3. No experience.
4. According to the HP C4385 Setup Guide, you do not need to have a router (like the Airport Extreme) to wirelessly connect to the printer.

Reaction score
OP
Hooahman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the help/suggestions everyone. My MBP is set to arrive the 29th (according to fedex estimate). The wait is driving me mad!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You wont regret it, and keynote kicks powerpoint in to the long grass

Keynote just creates WOW presentations, Powerpoint can do that with a lot of effort but it doesn't make the job easy. I sometimes have to do Powerpoint presentations for work, I am itching to create something in keynote but they are wedded to their Pcs and like to play it safe

OP
Hooahman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found a copy of iWork on ebay for $27, so I grabbed it. I'm excited :D.

Got a question for others who have ordered a MBP recently. I've been tracking my shipment via fedex and since Saturday night, it has said "Departed FedEx Location - Anchorage, AK." No updates since then. I live in San Francisco, CA. Any chance I get it tomorrow (Tuesday, the 27th)? Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.