How much RAM do I need for...

Reaction score
In my continuing quest to figure out what Mac laptop to buy, I have some further questions. Here's one: I plan to use Photoshop Elements 6 or iPhoto for some light photo editing (I am far from a professional; I just want my photos to be centered and to look decent; I currently use Photoshop Elements 6 on my windows laptop and like it but am willing to try iPhoto instead and save some $). Is 1 GB of RAM sufficient for either program or do I need to bump up the RAM to 2 GB? Also, I would like to play some games like Age of Empires but no graphic heavy games. Again, do I have to have 2 GB of RAM or will it run OK with 1 GB? I know more RAM is always good but is it really needed for these two things? Also, is it easy to add RAM to either the MB or MBP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
1GB is sufficient, but 2GB is the sweet spot.

Adding RAM is literally a 5 minute process, 10 minutes if you're inexperienced with computer hardware. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.
And do not buy additional RAM from Apple!

Checkout OWC for additional RAM when or if you feel the need to add. It's much less expensive and Mac certified.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR2 SDRAM, 250 GB HDD, Mac OS X 10.5.3 Leopard
I think there is no such thing as too much RAM in my opinion. I'm running my Blackbook with 4 G RAM and I mainly use Final Cut Studio 2. Runs great, but I still feel there isn't enough.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.