• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Since we're all talking about cars... which should I buy?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Ok, so far I've driven a car 4 times - my boyfriend's 1.6 Toyota Corolla (which I REALLY like), and a new diesel Clio (which I didn't like so much).

So obviously a new learner (though I was trundling around some private roads today quite happily, didn't hit anything and did five 3 point turns in a narrow road - go me! Dead proud of myself).

Fiesta? Peugeot 106? Micra? Punto? Is it insane to think about leaning in something a little bigger if I can afford it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
Do you have your license? If yes... why have you only driven four times, if no why do you want a car? ;)

OP
skaheadpunk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No. Want to learn, and I've started, had a couple of lessons and BF's taught me the basics, so I've already done reversing and some parking and main roads and whatnot and my BF can teach me now he's been driving 5 years... and I'll have to buy a car anyway, so why not buy my own and finish learning in that?

The other problem is that his is a company car, so insuring me on that could be difficult or we'd just do it that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
as far as picking out a car for you what are you looking for your car to have and what is your price range

OP
skaheadpunk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And I've recently stumbled into a decent chunk of money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
... I won't ask. lol. But I'd suggest a fuel economy car. Gas prices suck. Especially more for you since you are in England. What are they at now, the Equivalent to $8.50 a gallon? (We are at like 3.50 - 3.75 USD in Minnesota the passed week)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
everything skahead mentioned is pretty frugal, more so than most cars here ogacon.

i wish we had some of those cars here in the us, i'd drive a vw polo in a sec. ;)

i will say ska, a little bigger won't make much of a difference. there's little you could probably find for a decent price there that would get decent milage or that you would even want to drive, that will make learning any harder.

are you looking new or used?

OP
skaheadpunk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Around £5.04 for a UK gallon, £4.26 for a US gallon.

OP
skaheadpunk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm tempted to get more of a hatchback... something with enough room for the dog in the boot.

Used - I'm not that rich!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4
Get a VW Golf. I have one and I love it.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
are your vdubs built in germany? how's the quality?

in the us most of ours are built in mexico. i'm wondering if our poor quality is a result of location or design... ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook C2D 2.0GHz 2GB RAM 250GB HDD
How about a focus diesel? They are really nice and handle really well. Also you can look at something like a SEAT Leon, or the equivalent vw golf. Can't go wrong in the hatch realm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
a Prius. or a Acura TSX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
i drove a focus svt (st 170) for a couple of years and it was a great car no major problems and it was a good size when you fold the rear seats.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 13.3"
I have a ford focus just now and its fairly sensible, i had a Golf GTi last year and it was FUN to drive!

Once ive paid off my focus ill be looking for something mroe fun again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
If I had to go out an buy a car today, I think I'd get a VW with a turbodiesel. At 50+mpg, it's beats the heck out of any hybrid! Plus you don't have the price premium of a hybrid and you can run it on biodiesel and used cooking oil you can collect from restaurants for free. The Jetta TDI should be available in the US by the end of the year (from what I've read).

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
The Jetta TDI should be available in the US by the end of the year (from what I've read).

of course that helps her in england. ;P

i'm pretty sure turbodiesels are widely available in the uk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
^^ oops. I guess I should pay better attention. She's in a much better position for good cars, being in the UK.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
are your vdubs built in germany? how's the quality?

in the us most of ours are built in mexico. i'm wondering if our poor quality is a result of location or design... ;)
Golfs are all built in Wolfsburg. Jetta's are built in Mexico. Eos in Portugal ;) That's all I can remember, except their mini-van coming out this fall that's a rebadged Dodge

Oh and the rabbit, is a golf. FWIW I LOVE my mk5 Golf (current one). What's not to like about a quick, fairly agile car that'll get 27-30mpg depending on how idiotic you drive? Even rated highest by consumer reports for it's class. Second runner up with the Subaru.

OH! were I still in Europe I'd go with a Polo diesel if I wanted efficiency, or a scirocco out of VW.. Course, I'd also be tempted by a turbo diesel 1 series BMW

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.