Apple Remote

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.16GHz 2Gb OS X 10.5, 16Gb iPhone 3G Black
Hi guys,

Im having bit of an open house party next week and want to have my macbook set up on the tv with Front Row open and let people select music with the remote, however i'm a bit worried that the remote will get lost during the evening because its so small. Now im not too sure how infra red remotes work, but is there any way to use another remote that runs on the same frequency (is that right?) that can also operate front row?
Bit of an odd question i know, but any help is greatly appreciated,

Luke

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
I don't think that's possible....set up itunes in party mode so people can select upcoming tracks they want to hear?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
If I have a party I hide every remote control I have - especially my apple remote. I'd go with getuptogetdown's idea.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi guys,

Im having bit of an open house party next week and want to have my macbook set up on the tv with Front Row open and let people select music with the remote, however i'm a bit worried that the remote will get lost during the evening because its so small. Now im not too sure how infra red remotes work, but is there any way to use another remote that runs on the same frequency (is that right?) that can also operate front row?
Bit of an odd question i know, but any help is greatly appreciated,

Luke

I wouldn't be worried so much about losing the remote (which can be replaced for $19.00) near as much as I would worry about someone knocking the MacBook off the TV, or spilling a drink on it! :Oops:

Regards.

OP
lukenn77
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I have a party I hide every remote control I have - especially my apple remote. I'd go with getuptogetdown's idea.

yeah i think i'll have to. i was hoping to be able to close the macbook's lid and just have it sit under the TV with DVD player etc, then let people browse the music that would be displayed on the tv. thanks for the tip tho, i've never used the iTunes party mode before.

OP
lukenn77
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wouldn't be worried so much about losing the remote (which can be replaced for $19.00) near as much as I would worry about someone knocking the MacBook off the TV, or spilling a drink on it! :Oops:

Regards.

haha, well yeah that was my initial concern, which is why i planned to have it hooked up to the tv via video cable, and shut the macbook lid and slide it under the tv with dvd player etc, then people could browse front row on the tv.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Actually, if you're having the kind of party I usually have, you might want to hide the TV and all other electrical items in case of a beer pong incident.

OP
lukenn77
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, if you're having the kind of party I usually have, you might want to hide the TV and all other electrical items in case of a beer pong incident.

haha, nah im not expecting it to get that mad. Just a BBQ in the evening with some drinks and a bit of a laugh, but with all of the doors in the house being open, and lots of people wandering who knows where the remote could end up if someone walks off with it.

I might just plug in an old USB keyboard and get people to use that instead actually, might be easier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
I would tuck away the mac and just hope the remote doesn't get lost. At least you can replace it for $20, where as if something gets messed up on your laptop, you're looking to clearly pay a lot more...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
You should go down to Walmart or Radio shack an buy a cheap universal remote with learning capabilities. They can learn from the apple remote. I have my apple remote programmed to my home theater remote. Be sure not to put your MB on top of any other devices that will make more heat for it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.