Help Ogacon!

Reaction score
Ogacons browsers are apparently not working. So he gave me this message for you all.

Internet keeps cutting out?
So I have this very annoying problem that I wish I could fix, and hope someone here will be able to help me with. I can't get onto any webpage, but my wireless is fully connected and everything but web browsers are connected and working fully. AIM, Mail.app, etc. But when I open up Safari or firefox, the pages don't load and go to the "cannot be displayed" window. Unfortunately, I can't get on the internet to post my problem to fix it, so I have to give this to CL33zero to relay the message to you wonderful people! It happens on both my Mac and PC. So it is a problem with my whole network I believe... anyone know what is going on? It usually lasts about 10 minutes and then works again... but at other times it lasts much longer. Thanks!
-ogacon

So I will relay the messages I guess. Silly I know :p

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Ogacons browsers are apparently not working. So he gave me this message for you all.

So I will relay the messages I guess. Silly I know :p

I take it he is trying more than one browser? He did say browsers.

Since everything else works that is a strange issue. Will see what I can come up with.

Also ask him if he has a way to try a Wired connection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
ya... I'm on now... I'm guessing it will last about 10 minutes. that has been the pattern for the passed 2 hours :\

I should add when I click the airport icon, it says "Airport: Scanning" pretty much all the time when this problem is happening.

Thanks Cl33zero!

OP
C
Reaction score
Ok, to clarify, so you all dont think I am playing you. His browers (firefox or safari) will work for about a minute at a time out of about 20 minutes. Everything else works. Email, iChat, and the like.

I have access to wired connection, But my desktop has the same issue. and it is hooked up to LAN cable. It started before I got my Mac, but this is lasting a lot longer than usual
and a lot more today

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahhh! It's working quick now... instant load times. I think I'm back. But still, this stuff will get annoying after a while. Maybe I'll just have to live with it. Thanks for the help if any of you know the problem. So ya... it is random times of screwyness.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
How are you hooked to the net? DSL? Cable? Are you using a Router? If so which one? Since it's happening on a PC wired to it, that rules out OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Comcast cable modem to Linksys Router. Just got back on again. I'm gonna unplug my modem/router overnight I think and go to sleep. And see if that fixes it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Perhaps it's a DNS issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Agh, Aptmunich, how dare you suggest such a thing. I hereby declare myself God. And also that it isn't a DNS issue. Probably.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It could very well be a DNS issue.

I should have asked him which Linksys it was but figured he was off to sleep. I have seen his issue a few times. A couple of times it was the router getting hot and messing up, other times it was DNS.

When you wake up and see this, if it still acts up, try going direct from the Cable Modem to one of the computers. Run it and see if you get that issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
If it were DNS and not the leopard weird dns issue but something like his ISP's DNS servers being down he wouldn't be able to connect to msn or his mail servers (unless the DNS servers were only translating some addresses in which case he would be able to access *some* websites). If it was the leopard thing then everything would work just very slowly. Random disconnects and "screwiness" sounds more like an overheating or faulty modem or router imo.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am betting on the router also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
another vote for the router hopefully resetting it works out the problem

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
comcast gets screwey from time to time.

i have the same setup, linksys router (wireless) connected to a comcast cable modem - and i'm probably within 30-40 miles of ogacon.

every couple weeks, or whenever any odd network issues crop up, i do the standard power cycle, power 'em all off - power the modem up, wait for the "good" lights, then power up the router.

my issue for a while was that the cable modem would occasionally just not connect for hours at a time. one for sure was blown out. the other issue they found recently was that i had a choke on one of the wires that didn't need to be there. once that was removed, it's been pretty much clear sailing. :D

dfb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 24 inch. 2.4ghz
Try using the MODEM only next time w0 the router..If it still does it, it is either a SERVER problem, or a line problem.. On a phone line it could be a bad DSLAM or a Bad DPG(Digital Pair Gain Card)....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, its working now. I think a router reset helped. I'll just have to redo that everytime this happens. Thanks guys!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, its working now. I think a router reset helped. I'll just have to redo that everytime this happens. Thanks guys!

Just curious, what is the model of that Linksys router?

Glad you are up and running!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

A close friend of mine had that router for years and after maybe a year and a half he had similar issues when it got really hot. A reset fixed it for him. His wife got mad one day though and they got a new router. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
grr... ok. Thanks though for letting me know. I'll be getting airport express soon for my college dorm though. Hopefully that will be more reliable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.