macbook vs macbook pro and a few other questions for a soon switch

Reaction score
So a few questions. i apologize if this post has been put up a million times.

I am a PC user. I want to get a Mac laptop.

What is the difference between a macbook and macbook pro? What can i do on the pro that I cant do on the regular? I am looking to eventually get into DJ'ing, mixing, producing, and maybe some video type stuff.

Also I do a lot of autocad and design work on PC and use a few softwares on PC's that arent available on mac such as microsoft groove. what is the best way to run windows on a mac? using bootcamp or parallels or the third one which i cant remember? which works the best, easiest, fastest, etc?

thanks a lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66ghz Core 2 duo iMac (20in), 320gb HDD, 4gb DDR3 1066mhz, iPhone 3g (8GB), Nano 4g (16GB)
well the main difference between the macbook and macbook pro is that the macbook has a dedicated graphics card, and the macbook has integrated graphics. So if your going to be doing graphics intensive things (Ie heavy video editing / gaming) your going to want the Pro.

As far as running windows i couldnt help you there, as i dont have experience with bootcamp , parallels , or VMware Fusion... I am sure another kind user on here does though! Welcome to Mac-Forums!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
For most programs parallels of vmware fusion will work just fine to run those programs, and will be more convenient as you won't need to restart. They do cost money however as opposed to the Boot Camp which is part of OS X. iApple stated everything else. I'd suggest trying the free samples of both parellels and fusion before you buy it to see which one you like better.

OP
G
Reaction score
what about the new laptops coming out? any updates on the new features they will have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
No one knows... but there are rumors of course. The most recent update/new features was the multi-touch trackpad. I'm not sure what else they could add new that deals with actual features instead of just hardware upgrades. But that is just my thought.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
Other major differences that mattered for me while deciding between the two are that the macbook pro has a much nicer keyboard (and the keys illuminate in the dark which is nice) but also the screen size. Having the 15.4" screen in perfect...not too big but not too small like the macbook.

And I use parallels and it's awesome.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.