locked folders after transferring folders from pc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.8ghz
i have just coupled up an old hdd to my iMac. After transferring the folders and files I tried to delete some of the unwanted folders by dragging them to the trash bin. However, the files won't delete as they are "locked". How do I unlock them or delete them?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have run into that a few times with some files network copied from a PC to my Mac. I just Right Clicked (Control/Click) on the file and clicked on Get Info. See if there is a checkbox by Locked. If so, uncheck it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2G Mac Pro, 6Gb RAM, Lotsa HD space, 24" Samsung LCD
Select the file or folder concerned and choose 'Get Info' from the context menu. At the bottom of the info window that appears you will see a section called Sharing & Permissions telling you what rights you have over that particular file or folder.

If you only have 'Read' rights you won't be able to delete it. To change this, click on the small padlock icon near the bottom of the info window (you'll be prompted for a suitable admin password at this point). Give yourself Write access so that you can delete the file or folder as necessary.

Edit: Oops, not quick enough - already answered.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
i have just coupled up an old hdd to my iMac. After transferring the folders and files I tried to delete some of the unwanted folders by dragging them to the trash bin. However, the files won't delete as they are "locked". How do I unlock them or delete them?

PC folders with the read only or system attribute will appear as locked when you move them to a Mac. Usually you can delete by dragging them to the Trash and then empty Trash while at the same time holding down the "Option" key.

Regards.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.8ghz
many thanks to you all. I will try this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" alum iMac 2.4 3 gigs ram
I had that same problem last week and I tried most of the advice above and nothing worked for me. Then one poster recommended a small app called "Force Empty Trash" and that is what worked for me. Great little program when you get a stubborn file that won't empty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP macOS Big Sur....iPad Air 2 64gB....iPhone 8+
Before I learned about the Info I made a new folder and cut and pasted all the items from the locked folder into the new folder. Kicked myself when I saw that check in the box later on though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.