Switcher..can't wait..software suggestions..

Reaction score
HI,
I am going to officially ditch Windows and I simply cannot wait! Getting an iMac in a few weeks and I have never even tried one before. I'm a little nervous but I know I'm going to love it.

I am going to be buying Microsoft Office 08 for the Mac but I still need a good database program seeing that Office doesn't have access. Any suggestions? I also in need of suggestions for a good web page editior besides Dreamweaver (expensive). Right now I am using Front Page and of course, they dont' have it for Mac...any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

:)

OP
K
Reaction score
What is torrent? Sorry to sound so naive, but I don't know anything about the Mac...I am researching though so I'm not lost when I get mine. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
What is torrent?

I think it means this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent

Sorry to sound so naive

Don't apologise for asking questions, it's how you find answers :D When someone posts a reply with something I don't know or understand, Google comes to my rescue 95% of the time.

Office 08 will contain Excel as its database application. It's good but I find it fiddly. Excel usually works well when sharing database files with Win users.

You might want to try Filemaker but I know little about it.
http://www.filemaker.com/

Reaction score
HI,
I am going to officially ditch Windows and I simply cannot wait! Getting an iMac in a few weeks and I have never even tried one before. I'm a little nervous but I know I'm going to love it.

I am going to be buying Microsoft Office 08 for the Mac but I still need a good database program seeing that Office doesn't have access. Any suggestions? I also in need of suggestions for a good web page editior besides Dreamweaver (expensive). Right now I am using Front Page and of course, they dont' have it for Mac...any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

:)

Before buying Office you should checkout Neo Office (neooffice.org) and Open Office (openoffice.org) to see if either meets your needs. Both have a database component similar to Access (I have never used the DB component of either). You could also check out Bento from Filemaker. Bento is billed as a personal database.

Also, consider iWork for word processing, spreadsheet, and presentations. There is a trial available.

Give iWeb a try before buying a web page editor.

Reaction score
Talking about using torrents to steal software is, I'm sure, not allowed on the forums because it's illegal.

In regards to a web design program, you could try iWeb that comes with your Mac, but it sounds like you want something with a little more options and features. I've heard good things about Coda.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
for database program bento has been getting alot of good reviews. i haven't tried it so i cant give you a first hand account of it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
Bento would be ok for smaller needs, by all means download the demo and try it. It might be fine.
It depends on EXACTLY what you want the database program to do?
The DB in openoffice 3 or neooffice is fine also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb
For anything web site editing, Coda is the way to go. Its basically amazing, you have to give it a try.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for all your support and great suggestions. I'm gonna start googling right now!! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Mac Book 2.4GHZ, 2GB
I'm planning to switch to a Mac in the near future but was a bit concerned about stuff like Word processing and other as I'm using my laptop to do some uni work.

Currently on my PC, I'm using Office 07 and i've been using Office for many years now so I'm pretty used to it

I guess that the tools available on Mac are as good as Office but I was just wondering how much time it takes to use them efficiently? Don't want to spend too much time in (re)learning ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Quad 2.8 w/ 8800GT / Black MacBook 2.16 C2D
Fidou, if you are used to MS Office on the PC, just get MS Office for the Mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Course, iWork will fit most peoples needs and costs about 1/3rd the price of Office. I have both, and rarely use office actually.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz 4GB, iPod Classic 120GB
Fidou, if you are used to MS Office on the PC, just get MS Office for the Mac!

I second this opinion, I use Office 2008 for Mac and it works amazing for me.

Reaction score
iWork vs Office

Pages=Word
Keynote>Powerpoint
Numbers<Excel

But of course office comes with more than that, but nothing too amazing. I went with iWork and its worked fine so far.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.