Windows xp crashes when overheating?

Reaction score
Hi all, I installed window xp sp2 on my macbookpro. However, after two weeks, it crashed when I was using msn.

- When the system crashed, I restarted but could not get into windows.
- The next day, when the laptop was completely cool, I could boot in windows but it crashed after 20 minutes.
- I reinstalled windows xp, but the same problem appeared after around two weeks.
- When I tried to go to the safe mode in xp, it stopped when loading drivers.

Would you please help me out? The problem drove me crazy...Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi all, I installed window xp sp2 on my macbookpro. However, after two weeks, it crashed when I was using msn.

- When the system crashed, I restarted but could not get into windows.
- The next day, when the laptop was completely cool, I could boot in windows but it crashed after 20 minutes.
- I reinstalled windows xp, but the same problem appeared after around two weeks.
- When I tried to go to the safe mode in xp, it stopped when loading drivers.

Would you please help me out? The problem drove me crazy...Thanks!

Sounds like a thermal issue. CPUs have a safeguard that shuts the system down to prevent overheating. If the system comes back up after being turned off for awhile, it's likely that one of your fans has gone bad. I would try running the Apple Hardware Test to see if that is indeed the case.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you!! You're right, there is hardware errors...

I ran Apple Hardware Test, and got the following error code:
ASNS/1/40000000: TGOD-86.000

So I guess I should bring it to any Apple Store to have them take a look... :(

Sounds like a thermal issue. CPUs have a safeguard that shuts the system down to prevent overheating. If the system comes back up after being turned off for awhile, it's likely that one of your fans has gone bad. I would try running the Apple Hardware Test to see if that is indeed the case.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.