Closing an application

Reaction score
I've owned my MBP now for almost on year. There are still many MAC paradigms that don't make sense to me as compared to XP. One pet peeve is why MAC doesn't include both backspace and delete keys? It's not a big deal, just an annoyance, but what i really don't understand the logic of in OSX is why when you attempt to close an application by clicking the red-X doesn't the app close?? Is there a logical reason you must take further steps to close the application?
Thanks, Swedevb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
It keeps it open so if you want to come back to it later you don't need to wait for the load time. It stores it in cache, in kind of a 'sleep' mode. It takes virtually no processing speed keeping it 'open' but closed. But command-q will quit program instantly and is a very easy hotkey and feels very natural.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The full size keyboard that comes with the iMac and Mac Pro contain both Backspace and Delete keys. The laptops, as you have noticed, do not.

As for the closing thing, I think it's to allow for quicker launching of the programs after you "close" them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The full size keyboard that comes with the iMac and Mac Pro contain both Backspace and Delete keys. The laptops, as you have noticed, do not.

As for the closing thing, I think it's to allow for quicker launching of the programs after you "close" them.

Ya, and you can simply press fn+delete to use the same function as 'delete' does on a windows keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Glossy Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 30gb iPod Video
It keeps it open so if you want to come back to it later you don't need to wait for the load time. It stores it in cache, in kind of a 'sleep' mode. It takes virtually no processing speed keeping it 'open' but closed. But command-q will quit program instantly and is a very easy hotkey and feels very natural.

I would also extend that answer by saying that it also lets certain applications run in the background that you don't need displayed - like iTunes for example.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
swedevb,

I switched in early March and one of my first questions was about where was the Backspace key on my Macbook - I learned early on that the Delete key is both Backspace and Delete - just use Alt (option) with it and it's a real Delete key, otherwise it's a Backspace key... seems backwards, but easy to use! And convenient!

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Glossy Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 30gb iPod Video
I learned early on that the Delete key is both Backspace and Delete - just use Alt (option) with it and it's a real Delete key, otherwise it's a Backspace key... seems backwards, but easy to use! And convenient!

Oooh that is handy! I never knew that.

Now just explain why when I hold shift and select things how to unselect by pushing up instead of selecting something higher :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
swedevb,

I switched in early March and one of my first questions was about where was the Backspace key on my Macbook - I learned early on that the Delete key is both Backspace and Delete - just use Alt (option) with it and it's a real Delete key, otherwise it's a Backspace key... seems backwards, but easy to use! And convenient!

Noel

Are you sure it's not fn+delete? Or are you talking about on a desktop keyboard. On my MBP alt doesn't do anything, fn does a forward delete, and command delete deletes everything to the left of the bar.

EDIT: Whops... I'm dumb. As CL33Zero pointed out below

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
ogacon

My bad, I should have said fn+delete... turns out my main problem with Macs is having to use key combos to get things done. That wasn't the case with PCs.

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
My bad, I should have said fn+delete... turns out my main problem with Macs is having to use key combos to get things done. That wasn't the case with PCs.

Thats a huge plus point for me, Mac OS X is built more around the keyboard whereas windows is more of a mouse orientated system...Keyboard shortcuts on Mac OS X are more intuitive, easier to learn and faster to access...

= Mac OS X being better!!! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2GHz
I'd consider the X button on an application window as the 'minimize' button. The application still runs. Command + Q will close the application entirely.

However, the RAM that the application used is not cleared. OSX uses it's memory very actively, leaving pages in memory resulting in much faster reopening times for applications that you've used.

Knowing this, it's better to sleep your Mac than it is to shut it down completely.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.