some insight...?

Reaction score
I'm a power user, switching from windows to macand I'm wondering if I can just take my windows installation from my PC (the entire hard disk) and install it into my mac (running Leopard 10.5.2)?

and if so, how does it boot?

I'm new here by the way, and I'd like to say thank you for having me here...

any Windows based issues I'll do my best to help...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
You mean put the HDD in your mac? You could do.

What you can do is create a bootcamp partition, install windows on one side and have OS X on the other, and boot whichever you need.

Or there's software like VM Fusion or Parallels Desktop to run Windows within OS X.

OP
£
Reaction score
You mean put the HDD in your mac? You could do.

What you can do is create a bootcamp partition, install windows on one side and have OS X on the other, and boot whichever you need.

Or there's software like VM Fusion or Parallels Desktop to run Windows within OS X.

yes, that's exactly it, just to place the entire HDD into the Mac... but then how does it boot and if so, do I still need to run VM Fusion or... Bootcamp or... anything like that?...

I don't really wish to partition my OS X drive to facilitate Windows.

I bought a mac for the future. I'm happy I switched

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
If you put the actual HDD into the mac it should just boot... I'm sure I've done it before with an XP drive.

What mac do you have? Do you mean having a windows HDD and one with OS X? If so you can select which drive you boot from by hitting the option key on start up.

You'd just be booting whichever OS on it's own - you don't need any more software (so far as I know, I'm no expert) unless you want to boot both at the same time. I think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Such a configuration likely won't boot, or at least won't boot very well (perhaps only in Windows Safe Mode). Remember, your new Mac is a completely different hardware environment than the PC that hard drive was booting before. None of (or very few of) the device drivers will work. Unfortunately, your best bet is to re-install Windows on the Mac, not attempt to get an old installation running. That is my 2 cents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
Such a configuration likely won't boot, or at least won't boot very well (perhaps only in Windows Safe Mode). Remember, your new Mac is a completely different hardware environment than the PC that hard drive was booting before. None of (or very few of) the device drivers will work. Unfortunately, your best bet is to re-install Windows on the Mac, not attempt to get an old installation running. That is my 2 cents.

I'd have to agree with this. Taking a Windows drive and going from one machine to another (unless it's the exact same hardware specs) will generally result in a BSOD or just plain won't boot at all.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Another option is to use Parallels or Fusion to run your Windows installation in a VM. Both programs have a mechanism to create a VM image out of your existing PC and port it over to the Mac. I've heard it works quite well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.